If buff Orps are quiet and docile...does that mean roosters too?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenMT, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I really love my 10 week old BO pullets so last week I got some straight run BO chicks. I am hoping for a good rooster. I know that as a breed in general, they are quiet, calm and friendly. Does that mean that the BO roosters are quieter and friendlier that most roosters? [​IMG]

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    As you said breed in general is docile & quiet!

Rooster will also go along with breed but, it is individual. (meaning you can wind up with an aggressive one: also it is easy to tell after sexual maturity)

Joanne

3. stephenkeener

stephenkeener Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Ellijay,GA
    For some reason I seem to usually wind up with aggressive buff roosters, the kind I can't let out when the kids are home. I have one that is just a big pet he will take all the attention you will give and has never shown any aggression. I believe most of the problem is in the genes but I still believe the amount of time you spend with the birds when they are juvies can and will make a huge difference in their behavior as adults.

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

We have two buff orp females. They are still young ( 5 weeks ) but one is very friendly and laid back. The other is a feathered nightmare. She is so mean. We are hoping she mellows out as she gets older.

Bluemoon

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    in my pen i have 1 BO roo 2 BO hens and 1 RIR hen--about two months abgo my roo started to get nasty with ALL of us so we use a rack fro protection in the pen--he fights and jumps at the rAKEalmost everytime-if he wasnt mating as good as I think he is He would have been dinner the first time he bit me...I have no replcements-so hes a keeper until one of his sones 3weekers ( 2 of them) replaces him-that and Im using his fertile eggs to hatch out for meat -so his life is golden right now! Good luck with yours

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by