If Chicks Get Wounds From Being Pecked Dab With Auto Grease

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cowboy_Shamblin, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cowboy_Shamblin

Cowboy_Shamblin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Elk City
    My Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshire Reds Are Most Prone To Pecking Injuries As Chicks. Partly because they are slower feathering. I dab their wounds with my grease gun.

2. wanderseek

wanderseek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    east central Indiana
    We do this too. Works every time! Only we don't use a grease gun. We just scoop up a dab on a finger, then smear it around the feather-pecked area. The chickens hate the smell and stop pecking right away.

3. chickenlover51

chickenlover51 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    We do the same thing. No more pecking after the grease in on....[​IMG]

4. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Curious to know if it stops the squeaking too?

5. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:This made me laugh!! [​IMG]

6. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I have a baby chick (about 10 days old) that got in the middle of a fight between mother and the rooster just this afternoon. Chick ended up down and the rooster pecking it's neck. I quickly removed it from the run thinking it was dead. Turns out it's a tough little bugger and is now loudly cheeping for it's mother. If I grease the wound, will this prevent the mother from pecking it? I thought that maybe I could separate her and the chick in a pen in the coop until it's MUCH bigger.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think pine tar is a much safer and more effective treatment for wounds.
    Pine tar has germicidal and healing properties. To my knowledge auto grease has none.
    I recently treated a large gaping wound on a turken with pine tar. If this wound had been on a human it almost certainly have required stitches.
    Three days of treatment and the wound is healed and the skin looks great.
    Had pecking of the wound by her flockmates been a problem, the pine tar would have solved that too.
    Just MHO.

8. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    My 8 week old got beat up by the older girls. I ran up to the garden and I thought she was dead when I saw her. But I called her name and she jumped up and ran to me. She lost a lot of blood and has a big open gash under her wing but she's doing very well this morning. It must look worse than it is. She's covered with antibiotic ointment at the moment.
    How long after you put the grease on does it keep the pecking from happening? Do you have to reapply often?

9. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Auto grease is full of heavy metals; moly and several others. If it's not fit to use on a human, it's not fit to use on a living animal. Use petroleum jelly, available at any drug store or Walmart. While I wouldn't eat it, it is safe to use topically on animals.

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Not that I agree or Disagree, but just to balance the argument, most human medicines are full of toxins and poisons too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by