If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
Last year I built the girls a play pen on wheels. They walk out of coop/hen yard into their play pen. I move them around the yard to fresh areas. At night I roll them back to hen yard, open the door and they go in. I don’t do it everyday but enough that they look forward to it and have a great day “free range” all the while protected and safe.

I’m panicking a little, but not much. Yet. I think we could free range and be okay. I’m just thankful that winter is turning to spring and not the other way around! I’m planning on stocking up on some when we go into town next, probably today or tomorrow.
stocking up on store bought chicken? Chicken feed? Something to plant for the chickens?
Seems like you left some info out.

I'd be watching the road for roadkill as well as whatever grows nearby that I could feed. When I lived in NJ I had a friend that was a butcher. From September-February I got pickup truck loads of meat scraps for my dogs, cats, and birds. My chickens would fly onto my truck before I even got halfway into my driveway. And they always had plenty of feed in their feeders in the barn. It didn't matter they loved the meat. And they never went through a molt. Which I found interesting. I'm in Kentucky now and don't know any butchers. But I'm on the hunt to find one close by. My geese and ducks loved the meat too

Cryss, in response to your inquiry, "Now we’re thinking! Good ideas! Hmmmm. Could chickens be allowed to pick through compost at will? Maybe that’s where the compost pile needs to live?"...

When allowed to feed in the compost pile at will my hens deplete the insect (and especially worm) life in it faster than it can replenish. I will throw a scoop of food-rich compost into the chicken pen for them from time to time. It will go back into the compost pile when I clean out the run and replace the wood chips.

haven't time to read all that was already posted, but here goes:
Meal worms are easy to raise and already mentioned - high protein, which is the expensive part in most feed formulas.
You can procure pure strains from one of the land grant colleges in Texas (sorry I can't recall which one, but they maintain an extensive library of known algae), but spirulina is a literal super food, high in protein and loaded with all sorts of important enzymes and amino acids.
Blaptica dubia or dubia roaches are a large flightless variety that is a favorite with reptile breeders, again, good insect protein and easy to raise on spoiled produce, they won't climb out of plastic shoe boxes (but still keep a lid on them).
Black service fly larva; there are a ton of different ideas available on-line for setting up screened cages to collect larvae, as well as a bunch of different ways to harvest and contain. More work than the worms or roaches, but it's nutritious, and the birds love the little maggots.
Sprouted seed fodder - various types, but birds seem to prefer sprouted wheat. There are a lot of fairly spendy turn key systems available, but check out Youtube for ideas on all sorts of DIY solutions. Basically your making whole seeds more digestible while also adding carotene, which is the photosynthetic pigment in plants that animals can't synthesize, but that give spring and summer eggs that gorgeous dark orange yolk and what makes Golden Guernsey milk slightly yellow.
I can't speak to the nutritional value, but composting worms, or "Red Wigglers" are very prolific garbage and organic waste eaters that crap out wonderful worm castings to build soil, and oh yeah - chicks dig 'em. ;)
Somewhat related - read a great book that was originally published back during the Depression titled Fresh-Air Poultry Houses that details the particulars of allowing chickens to be housed in open air coops that rely on the birds natural physiology rather than our forced attempts at trying to make them comfortable and "safe". Turns out our great grandparents were a lot smarter than us, and we probably should have spent a little more time listening rather than talking. Anyway here's a link to an edited version (I have nothing at all to do with the author or the book) that I bought since it's long been out of print.
https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Air-Po...ords=fresh+air+chickens&qid=1584759828&sr=8-1
I also shoot squirrels out of the oak trees above where our birds forage, and the little raptors reveal their inner dinosaur when they hit the ground, ravaging the bushy tailed rats for that free protein. Always a big with our girls.

For anyone who raises fish, they also love fish offal, but be careful not to allow them too much or the oils have the potential to flavor the meat, and I suppose the eggs as well.

Somehow, our ancestors managed, even though there was no Purina store down the street and Tractor Supply wasn't even thought of.

Good luck everyone. I know a lot of families who elders managed through the last Great Depression thanks to their "backyard chickens", so maybe think about adding some ducks and guineas, along with a pigeon coop, and maybe an aviary of doves or quail. Birds and rabbits may be our new normal, and to be quite honest, that and a little Victory Garden might be just enough to help see us all through.

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
This winter I got snowed in at my house and couldn’t get to a feed store so I just fed my chickens rolled oats, there own eggs, canned tomatoes, leafy greens, etc. they also seemed to like chia seeds. Don’t know how good they are for chickens but they seemed fine.

My trick is I tap into the LDS community. I am always telling my LDS friends. If you know anyone getting rid of old food storage I'll take it. I literally have hundreds of number 10 tin cans of wheat. Ferment it and boom! chickens love it better then feed. Old canned potatoes from the 60s soak for a day. Dried pees/ green beans / anything else you can possibly imagine. Soak for a day. They love it. As for the 25ish 5gallon buckets of 60+ year old beans........... I haven't figured that out yet.........
Can you try grinding the beans and then cooking?

Some of us have experience in these matters where similar challenges can be imposed by flood or drought. If you are hiding in the mountains keeping chickens where they already have sufficient forages, then you have limited reason to empathize. Others like OP suggested are operating under a very different set of limitations.
In an emergency,
never slaughter a bird that is laying you eggs steadily. Even old girls.
Always keep 2-3 roosters.
If you have birds that sit around on their ass waiting to be fed, give them 2 weeks to begin to forage after you've quit feeding them, then if they start losing lotsa weight, send them swimming with the dumplings.
Never eat a hen prone to being broody. You'll need her to hatch more meat and egg makers.

I hate to say it but most dual purpose aren't really dual purpose unless you can acquire supplemental food because they may lay eggs, and may be big enough for table fare, but only if you fed the heck out of them.
Most Games and older hardy breeds known for foraging can stay alive without man. They may not be as big as dualies, or lay as many eggs, but they give you protein on the hoof and will fight to the death to protect their babies that grow up to feed you all over again.

I went from several hundred birds a couple months ago to around 50 birds just before new years . I hate to admit it but I've starved a few birds that were just too dsmn lazy too forage. Last thing I want is them breeding. Now I'm down to about half of that. But every one of them is working for their keep from sunup to sundown. The only ones I'm feeding now are the broodies that are sitting on eggs.
Here in a month when the US is looking at total lock down (like Italy) except for 1 trip to grocery store or pharmacy per week/~month, you'll need birds that provide for you, not birds that you provide for.
If you think this sounds cruel, tell me about it here in a year after you've adjusted to the new normal.
There is no one alive today, that will be alive in one year without changes to their mindset.
But there are gonna be a lot that aren't with us because they simply can't adapt.
May God have mercy on us all!
:oops: :old😭:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom