If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
Just a reminder. This thread is for fun first of all. It’s to get ya thinking outside the box. Second it’s to share ideas which is what the BYC whole site is about. What it isn’t is a prediction of doom. Things have happened in this world that have made this thread more serious than I originally intended. I don’t think we’re going to run out of feed at the supply stores too soon. But I’m loving all these great ideas regardless! How cool are all you guys!!

I love reading everyone's posts. Most seem to have backyard flocks. Some of us have quite large flocks. I usually have around 200 birds in mine, soon quite a few more as the chicks hatch out. I recently bought a truck load of feed because I'm old and have conditions so I'm being very careful. I'm staying home. I'm keeping busy getting ready for my hatch. I put 5 dozen eggs in the incubator a couple of weeks ago and another 4 dozen in last week, and a few more dozen going in this coming week. We have been harvesting so the birds are getting plenty from the gardens. When I harvest things like broccoli, the birds get the plants and I get the broccoli heads.

Just a reminder. This thread is for fun first of all. It’s to get ya thinking outside the box. Second it’s to share ideas which is what the BYC whole site is about. What it isn’t is a prediction of doom. Things have happened in this world that have made this thread more serious than I originally intended. I don’t think we’re going to run out of feed at the supply stores too soon. But I’m loving all these great ideas regardless! How cool are all you guys!!

It's always better to be over prepared than under prepared.

I have a neighbor that I already do this with. We have done it for years. They have 2 college age boys who return to college with eggs when they visit Mom and Dad, as well as Mom and Dad having eggs. :highfive:
Have you tried a water garden, there are a few plants that chickens can eat that you can grow in water, like cabbage, celery, boy choi, lettuce, basil, mint and the such!

I buy Scratch and Peck feed which gets shipped in (no local retail). I just ordered a two month supply as a buffer in case the you know what hits the fan. And the more I think about it, I'll probably place another order like that after the first of the month when my bank balance crawls back up outta the basement.

I stocked my own pantry, might as well stock the chicken pantry, too.

I have been thinking about what I would do in a situation like this. I know this isn't going along with the idea of living in the city but .farm equipment production is slowing down and I would like to get myself something to plant my 10acre field of brush. What crops would be good for chickens? . I was thinking like corn, oats or wheat something that would store over the winter. What ever I don't use I would ether be selling or feeding to goats. If I lived in the city I would probably drive to a
local gran farmers and ask if I can collect the spillover from their gran bins.

I have been thinking about what I would do in a situation like this. I know this isn't going along with the idea of living in the city but .farm equipment production is slowing down and I would like to get myself something to plant my 10acre field of brush. What crops would be good for chickens? . I was thinking like corn, oats or wheat something that would store over the winter. What ever I don't use I would ether be selling or feeding to goats. If I lived in the city I would probably drive to a
local gran farmers and ask if I can collect the spillover from their gran bins.
Corn, millet, wheat, black oil sunflowers, pumpkins (include pie type), red clover, white Dutch clover, crimson clover, timothy and strips of cool season grass.

There are a lot of things you can plant as @centrarchid mentioned. Also greens such as collards, lettuce and broccoli, etc. We are harvesting here in Florida as you are getting ready to plant.

Have you tried a water garden, there are a few plants that chickens can eat that you can grow in water, like cabbage, celery, boy choi, lettuce, basil, mint and the such!

I see that you are in San Antonio. That's real close to me. Do you do your water garden outside? If so, does it help keep your greens from bolting? I've had success with basil and mint (and eggplant/okra/tomatoes/sqaush) here, but even in winter my bok choys bolted almost immediately. I can do chard; every other green pretty much I struggle with.

Back
Top Bottom