If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
I am heading to TSC today and not panicking. I will stock up, as it will be used no matter what. My chickens have been laying better than ever and the ol' girls are three years old. It's as if they know this world is stressing out and they have been my godsend lately. I plan on planting a special garden just for them to free range through, if it should come to that. Be safe everyone and above all, BE KIND.

I am assuming @Don 27 has similar soil and climatic conditions to what I know growing up in southern Indiana.
We're zone 6 . I don't know much about southern indiana but we're in the corn belt just to give prospective. I grow a garden every year but as I work in my garden I look out into this 10 acre field thinking I should be out there using the soil. I have done basic soil studying and compared the soil in the field to the soil along the tree line and found that the farmer has mixed something in to improve the soil . It's wet land so I will l be drain tiling it. The old drain tile broke years ago and it hasn't been touched after that.

Also My tractor is 49 HP .. Massey65 diesel with a three pont hitch and PTO.
Corn, millet, wheat, black oil sunflowers, pumpkins (include pie type), red clover, white Dutch clover, crimson clover, timothy and strips of cool season grass.
I will save this for options . I have actually grown most of these in a smaller scale . I had just planted a garden of mixed clover types for my honey bees last year . The next question would be in what amounts I would need to plant each crop for 20 chickens . Not counting my free range game fowl.

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
Sprouted beans?

Our Massey 30E. Been thinking about selling it. We have quite a few implements for it. This is a 6' tiller on it.
IMG_0424Copy.jpg

Chipper shredder.
IMG_0823 - Copy.jpg

This tractor get the most use.
IMG_0843.JPG

This one is for sale. 1952 Farmall Cub. This was shortly after hubby restored it. Also has discs for hilling corn and a Woods belly mower. This is with the sweeps on it for cultivating. Years ago we used it when we were growing corn.
IMG_0746.JPG

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
First and foremost, THERE ARE NO SHORTAGES, that misconception is part of this crazy hoarding. The shelves are emptying because of hoarding, not shortages. The supply lines just can't keep up with this surge, DelMonte is not out of green beans and Northern is not out of tissue. What you will see is over the next few weeks the shelves will be full, because most people will have a 6 month supply of everything and nobody is buying and the retailers have ramped up their deliveries. We are not going to be eating more or wiping our you know what more, and our livestock won't be eating more. What we (and the retailers) need to do is find ways of doing business without close contact. Back up to the feed store have the guy load your purchase and then have the clerk use a card reader and you won't even have to go in.

chickens can eat virtually anything. Dog food, leftovers, clean out the fridge and give them old veggies, rice, pasta, some people go to dumpsters and get leftover bakery items, pizza and even the fried chicken at Safeway. Ask your grocery store manager if you can have leftover clippings from the produce department. Expired food is another thing, it stays good enough for chickens for long after the sell by date. Even dairy, like cheese. Breakfast cereal, hot cereal. Your chickens will be eating better than they would be during normal times. I know someone who spends zero on feed because he gets spent grain from a brewery, he dumpster dives, and they give him leftovers from the food pantry lunches that they give the homeless.

If you are off of work because of the virus, you have time to be resourceful. I give my chickens all my garden clippings (I don't spray). They even eat the goat droppings, it doesn't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom