If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

I’ve heard the feed stores will stay open because they are considered an “essential business” just like the grocery stores, since people need to feed their animals just as much as we need to eat, so that’s one good thing at least but I still have stocked up on feed just in case. I’m lucky that we also have almost 3 acres so my birds do get free range which helps cut down on the cost and conserve some feed. If they didn’t get to free range, I would probably give them lots of veggie and garden scraps or maybe even start a garden just for them. As well as maybe grains, feed their eggs back to them, etc.

I’ve heard the feed stores will stay open because they are considered an “essential business” just like the grocery stores, since people need to feed their animals just as much as we need to eat, so that’s one good thing at least but I still have stocked up on feed just in case. I’m lucky that we also have almost 3 acres so my birds do get free range which helps cut down on the cost and conserve some feed. If they didn’t get to free range, I would probably give them lots of veggie and garden scraps or maybe even start a garden just for them. As well as maybe grains, feed their eggs back to them, etc.

I went to get pallets from out back of my feed store to build a duck house with. They did tell me they are considered essential so will stay functional. They may go to having a clerk outside and a drive around for loading.

I went to get pallets from out back of my feed store to build a duck house with. They did tell me they are considered essential so will stay functional. They may go to having a clerk outside and a drive around for loading.

That’s a great idea! I wonder if ours has pallets. I was gonna build my coops with pallets but they were so heavy and hard to work with. Maybe one day. But yeah, I told the clerk I figured I might as well just get a bunch of feed just in case and she was like “well we’re gonna stay open” (and I had read that about other feed stores) but I was like “oh that’s good! But still” 😂🙈 and yeah ours usually you pay inside then bring the loading ticket to the warehouse and they bring it out for you so it’s pretty minimal contact anyway unlike our TSC where you get everything yourself. I’m not sure how you would order in advance though as they don’t have an order feature on their website. Maybe call?

Last edited:
That’s a great idea! I wonder if ours has pallets. I was gonna build my coops with pallets but they were so heavy and had to work with. Maybe one day. But yeah, I told the clerk I figured I might as well just get a bunch of feed just in case and she was like “well we’re gonna stay open” (and I had read that about other feed stores) but I was like “oh that’s good! But still” 😂🙈 and yeah ours usually you pay inside then bring the loading ticket to the warehouse and they bring it out for you so it’s pretty minimal contact anyway unlike our TSC where you get everything yourself. I’m not sure how you would order in advance though as they don’t have an order feature on their website. Maybe call?

I think a huge # of businesses are having to figure this out on the fly. I am betting we see a TON more businesses doing the order online pick up at store now.

I haven’t read every single post but I haven’t seen any one say anything about crickets. My chickens LOVE crickets and they are super easy to raise. If I could buy some first I would Do that. If not I would catch about 10 crickets and turn them into chIcken main source of protein and add in weeds and grass and food scraps and anything I can grow in the garde

I haven’t read every single post but I haven’t seen any one say anything about crickets. My chickens LOVE crickets and they are super easy to raise. If I could buy some first I would Do that. If not I would catch about 10 crickets and turn them into chIcken main source of protein and add in weeds and grass and food scraps and anything I can grow in the garde

That’s a good idea! Although crickets are somewhat noisy and smelly, no? I know some people raise mealworms or dubia roaches too so those might also be options. Although I think they would have to be ordered online or bought in store so might be harder to get right now.

Fantastic topic, thank you! I've been wondering the same thing and now that we're in lockdown (in South Africa) it's become a very real concern.
The first thing I did was buy sufficient feed for the lockdown period of 3 weeks. And then I opened a pop hole into an adjoining piece of "pasture" for my chickens. It's large and overgrown so that should keep them occupied (fed?) for a while. My only concern is feral cats 😬.
In the meantime I've started loads of chicken friendly greens in my greenhouse tunnel. We have a long growing season but we are going into winter, so yeah ... there's that 🙄.
I've always fed the egg shells and veggie peelings to them and I also have a mealworm farm.
So I think (hope? pray?) we're sorted.
Fortunately I set out on this road to be totally self sufficient and I believe it's paying off now, albeit not for the reasons I'd hoped.

Back
Top Bottom