if he buys an incubator without the turner???

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
rofl.. my hubby... who keeps saying no more chickens.... just called asking if i wanted an incubator.... i said i don't know why?? he says i'm staning here at IFA and they're $50... we'll have to get the turner in a few weeks....
i was all set to just let this first batch of eggs go and start putting the rest in the fridge for breakfast... lol...

so anyway...
i know i've seen that you need to turn them so many times a day...
do the hens really turn them 5 times a day???
i'm sorry, but untill i do it a few times myself i have a hard time believing you have to be as precise as they say...
i attempted some peacock eggs this spring in a homemade bator.. it didn't go well, but i admit i was lazy about turning them... but it says dont get them over 100... well hate to tell you.. but if they were out in the nest they would have been in 113 w/ 0 humidity.... lol... but, live and learn... or not live sometimes.. lol..
anyway... looking for advice and stories on the ins and outs and absolutes of this...

The embryo will get stuck to the side of the shell if you do not turn them. The hen turns them by sitting on them, the shuffling of her body and feet.

Hi there, I am incubating my first batch of eggs. I turn them 3 times a day. It is to keep the little embryo from sticking to the shell. You should turn them an odd number of times (3 or 5) so they don't sit on the same side overnight every night. I like turning by hand. I can give them a sniff to make sure no one is rotting in there and I check temp, humidity and candle them while I'm at it.

I've never had a turner. I hand turn usually 3 times a day. I get good hatches. Sometimes I turn - gasp twice, and some days four or five, and I don't keep track of it either. I've hatched out so many groups of eggs, I no longer know how many.

You don't need one. They're nice but not necessary.

Turning is necessary - freaking out about five times a day is not.

Unturned eggs stick and die. Had two bad broodies I saw that in person from.

I have a turner and its soo much easier than turning the eggs by hand! The only problem I have is when I go on lockdown... I dont have any reason to open the incubator. But that is best for the eggs!

well he brought it home and it's plugged in... we'll see if i can get the temp right tonight and if it holds till morning....

sad.png
@ the 50$ incubator
big_smile.png
Half your luck and enjoy them!!

The cheapest I can find around here seems to be 200$ and that is way out of reach for the moment. I just can't wait to get some babies I am considering getting a silkie or two to use as minimum's in the meantime.

$50 was the cheaper chain feed store in town.. here closer to home at the independent it was $75 for the same one...
this is the one i got http://www.miller-mfg.com/page/1/Product-Detail.jsp?groupId=307&prodId=42060

i
think my in-laws said at the place they go in utah where farming is more a way of life than a hobby they can get the same bator for like $30?

chickens are becoming very trendy pets... which i think is hilarious.. but that means caring for them is gonna get more expensive in places like vegas where trendy means high end...

I made me some of those there "home made" turners. They hold 24 eggs. I have to turn the turner by hand and I use a vice grip to hold them in place but I don't have to open the bator at least. Lately the temps have been going nuts because the weather has changed. It's getting cooler. We went from keeping on the air conditioner on energy save to a heater. I'm sure I lost several but I haven't given up hope yet. I do know there are some that are ok.

Back
Top Bottom