If I could do it over -Tips for 1st time geese

Hixnstix

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 10, 2008
N E, PA
I am getting a pair of American Buff geese soon. Wondered if you could do it over, what you might change in raising your geese? Any tips or tricks you want to share with a newbee? Baby's coming from Metzger Farms.

We bought 6 mallards last year from Tractor supply they mprinted but 4 months later the last 2 went for their nightly flight & left. From what I read these shouldn't fly the coup. Wanted a pair for baby's. Are they as docile as the info says??? Did you get grownup grumpy??? Are they as addictive as chickens??

Geese are more addictive than chickens in my opinion, they are so much more personable. That being said, one thing I plan to not do with any baby geese I raise this year is to make them too friendly. So far, most goslings I've raised from goslings (except for 1) grew up to be boogers. Most were okay with me but didn't want anyone or anything else near me. This included my son, he was terrorized by them. I'd like to have friendly geese but they seem to get too friendly when they are raised by you.

Sounds like you've got body guards
wink.png
. I think that's better than being bit!!! Not so good for anyone else. I am very anxious for mine to arrive.

Quote:
Me too. I babied mine A LOT! A friend of mine got four that I got with my two at the auction and hers don't bother anyone. Of course she doesn't have children but mine will try to push most adults around.

I have one bit of advise after raising goslings...don't overly baby them! Like Shelley said, they will turn into MONSTERS. Not the females so much as the males! We raised our Peter inside our house (husband's decision) for 8 months. Even his name said it all, Prince Peter!

24335_prince_peter_as_a_gosling.jpg

Well the Prince grew up and decided he wanted to be KING!! LOL About that time I told my husband that he needed a Princess and that he also needed to go outside. (Peter had a bedroom in our house! UGH!) Anyway, by this time, Peter had lost all respect for us.

Now that the natural order of things has returned and the "Prince" is outside, he still thinks that he should be King. From time to time he'll challenge me. I don't take it though. I immediately pick his feathery butt up and tell him who's boss! LOL He immediately defers to me...THE ONE TRUE QUEEN and RULER and things are good.

Here's the "Prince" outside where he belongs!

24335_prince_peter_peepers.jpg

My husband still has a soft spot for him though. Don't get me wrong! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Peter. And he's my favorite of all my geese and probably always will be but a goose (and gander) needs to know his place! LOL

Good luck with your geese! And btw, you're getting your geese from a great place. John Metzer is great!!

Laurie

Last edited:
I would spend more time every day holding them. I did it quite a bit but now that they are adults I can hardly get near, so I wish I had done more of it. Also some breeds are just aggressive; if you get one of those forgetaboutit. We got an Embden gander (either a mistake or an extra from the hatchery) and now I am trying to rehome him as he terrorizes my son.

Back
Top Bottom