If I don't remove the egg, will the others start laying too.....

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Silly question. My BR has been laying for about three-four weeks now. The other two chickens I have are 21 weeks now and not laying. I usually remove my BR's egg right after she lays it (I'm out at that time). Should I possibly leave the egg in for a day and see if it encourages the other girls to lay? Might that get them moving or should I just be patient and wait?

I would remove the egg just so it isn't wasted and put a golf ball there in case one decides it is time. That way she will have an idea where to lay.

Nothing will make the other chickens start to lay but Mother Nature telling their bodies it's time.

Okay, I'll try to be patient. The first one seemed to know exactly where to lay. Today I saw one of the non-layers go in and check out the next box (It's an Eglu Go house) and then come out, then go back in and rifle the nesting shavings a little and come out. Maybe she's almost there!

It is a little bit of both to answer your question....
You cannot Rush the girls...each chick is different and will start at different times.....Some may start at 16 weeks (4 months) while others may not lay til they are 7 months old.

However i you want them to get the idea, and get use to where they "should" lay....you can put golf balls or the plastic easter eggs in their box do they will get the
"hint"...LOL

Best Wishes,
Laura

They DO seem to like to lay where others have, so putting fake eggs - or some people use golf balls - may give them a little incentive to lay in the NEST as opposed to some other random place, but probably won't get them laying any sooner. Eggs left in the nest tend to get broken, or dirty, otherwise it's probably ok to just collect them once a day. Answer to your question: yes, be patient and wait.

Back
Top Bottom