If I feed mealworms to chicks, do I need to feed grit???

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
My chicks are now 2 1/2 weeks old and I am thinking about getting some mealworms for them when I go to town tomorrow. Do I need to buy some grit for them too? I am also curious if I should sprinkle out the grit with the worms or if I need to add it to their feed. My chick starter feed does not contain any grit. Also, I am wondering about feeding them some yogurt or applesauce. Is this okay or should I steer clear for now?

Quote:
Do I add the grit to the starter feed that I am already feeding the chicks, or do I sprinkle it around with the mealworms? I know, silly question! I just want to be sure that I do it right!
big_smile.png

The reason nature feeds baby chicks bugs is because they are very easy to digest.
Grit is needed more for corn, grasses, seeds and grains. But it doesn't hurt to have grit available, they will pick it up when they need to. Just don't give so much that they eat that instead of feed.
I hold off grit until they are at least 1 week old. The chick starter is made to be easily digested with water, and breaks down by the action of the gizzard. I've heard grit given too soon can actually injure the gizzard. Has anyone else heard this?

@PennySue . This is perfect timing for me. My chicks are between 10-12 days and I was thinking about giving them mealy worms because I see the chicks that are under my broody hen (the same age) eating the scraps that are left when she eats them from my hand.

Going to run down to the coop and grab the chick grit!
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom