If I hatch another rooster how do I find someone to rehome him?

So I’m new to raising chickens and have gone through many ups and downs ....... I’m really worried about ending up with another rooster.
The one thing I have learned since starting my flock is that no matter how much you love your feather babies sooner or later you will have to accept culling as a necessity.
I was heartbroken when I first had to cull an extra and very aggressive rooster. But I learned what farmers have always learned. You can't change nature. Sometimes a rooster just has to go. Stressing over it will ruin your joy in your babies. Once you've had ankles and legs bloodied by a very unhappy roo who's just trying to obey his instincts, you start shifting your point of view pretty quick. 😉 I would use Craig's list and don't allow yourself to get too attached to any new baby until you are sure of gender. That said, wait a few months to incubate those eggs. Pullet eggs don't have a good track record for producing healthy chicks.

If you're able to keep a second coop, I suggest a rooster flock. It'll ensure your roosters don't end up in the pot and it will prevent any new roosters from being hatched.

So I’m new to raising chickens and have gone through many ups and downs as I took care of my chicks. They’re 22 weeks old now and this morning I found my 2 first eggs. I was shocked at first but I was filled with so much pride with my little Pui Pui. She doesn’t seem too interested in sitting on them and I really would love to incubate them but I’m really worried about ending up with another rooster. I already have 2 and I adore them but a third is where I draw the line. Even if I was strong enough to cull him it’s illegal to do so where I live. My question is what would I do if I hatch another rooster or worse both eggs turn out to be roosters? Who should I reach out to that would be willing to take him? I wouldn’t even ask for money or a trade as long as I knew he would not end up in the wrong hands. (There are people around here who may be into dog fighting)
I posted a photo of my rooster - he was stunning! - to my community website on face book. It only took two days to find a home for him.

So I’m new to raising chickens and have gone through many ups and downs as I took care of my chicks. They’re 22 weeks old now and this morning I found my 2 first eggs. I was shocked at first but I was filled with so much pride with my little Pui Pui. She doesn’t seem too interested in sitting on them and I really would love to incubate them but I’m really worried about ending up with another rooster. I already have 2 and I adore them but a third is where I draw the line. Even if I was strong enough to cull him it’s illegal to do so where I live. My question is what would I do if I hatch another rooster or worse both eggs turn out to be roosters? Who should I reach out to that would be willing to take him? I wouldn’t even ask for money or a trade as long as I knew he would not end up in the wrong hands. (There are people around here who may be into dog fighting)
Don't hatch any eggs because half will be boys and there are already too many poor boys without a kind home. Even if you do find a home on craigslist, etc. I'm told cockfighting troll that site for their cruel painful sport. Best to practice prevention as we were told to do with dogs and cats.

They’re 22 weeks old now and this morning I found my 2 first eggs. I was shocked at first but I was filled with so much pride with my little Pui Pui.

Few thing's I don't get here.
1. Laying at 3 months? What variety do you have that lays so early?
2, You have pride that your hen laid two eggs? Hens lay one egg a day and usually 3-5 per week when in full production.
Maybe someone is playing a joke on you, or you have a breed of thoroughly unusual chickens. Joke might be more likely, especially if the eggs were laid already hard boiled;)

Few thing's I don't get here.
1. Laying at 3 months? What variety do you have that lays so early?
2, You have pride that your hen laid two eggs? Hens lay one egg a day and usually 3-5 per week when in full production.
Maybe someone is playing a joke on you, or you have a breed of thoroughly unusual chickens. Joke might be more likely, especially if the eggs were laid already hard boiled;)
22 weeks is almost 6 months.
First eggs are always exciting to find. It means success with raising a chick

Back
Top Bottom