If I keep 1 drake - which would you pick?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
If space isn't an issue for total ducks + drakes and we end up keeping 1 drake, it will be between a runner or a magpie. I wound up with all of my runners and all of my magpies as drakes, sadly. So I'm considering keeping ONE. I don't want more than 1 drake total.

The rest of the flock (ducks) consists of:
2 Mallards
1 Blue Swedish
1 Blue/Gray something (maybe runner that doesnt look like a runner, or a swedish without a bib)
1 Crested White - (yes I know I have to protect her and her crest from a drake)
1 brown duck - guessing khaki campbell

I have 4 smaller ducklings that are still TBD

We would only keep one drake, if any. And it would be between a fawn/white runner or a magpie. Thoughts? Does it matter? I'm currently partial to one of the runners.

I don't have either but I have heard runners can be more sexually aggressive than other breeds so maybe the magpie? I'd probably just get rid of whichever one is more girl crazy, or keep them both until one starts causing some kind of problem and then remove the problem.

I would keep the smallest, gentlest drake. You have several small hens so a bigger drake could injure them. I would not recommend keeping two until you have problems. I tried that and my girls divided themselves between the two boys, each choosing a favorite. At first my boys fought each other. Then, they became friends but mercilessly picked on the girls who did not choose them. I got rid of one drake two years ago. My “calmer” drake still picks on the two girls who chose the other drake.

If space isn't an issue for total ducks + drakes and we end up keeping 1 drake, it will be between a runner or a magpie. I wound up with all of my runners and all of my magpies as drakes, sadly. So I'm considering keeping ONE. I don't want more than 1 drake total.

2 Mallards
1 Blue Swedish
1 Blue/Gray something (maybe runner that doesnt look like a runner, or a swedish without a bib)

We would only keep one drake, if any. And it would be between a fawn/white runner or a magpie. Thoughts? Does it matter? I'm currently partial to one of the runners.
I would keep the magpie. Runners CAN be one of the more sexually aggressive breeds. Doesn’t mean your’s is but just as a rule of thumb. Plus the magpie sounds adorable! You could always just go with the best tempered

2 Mallards
1 Blue Swedish

I would keep the smaller male because the larger ones can injure the females.

Back
Top Bottom