If I Let a Broody Hatch Some Eggs....

Chicky Tocks

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Benton, Arkansas
will it break her broody spell? I've got one who's been sitting on the nest for a month now. I don't have a roo, but I have some eggs on day 13 in the bator. She's quit laying and her chest is bare of feathers.

This cotton pickin hen is mean! Everyday when I feed the chickens, I take her off the nest and put her down with everyone else to eat and poop. When she's done, she goes straight back up to her nest. The other chickens come into the nest and lay and she takes the eggs that they lay up under her.

So what would you do? Hen better give me my egg! Should I put some of my bator eggs under her? Would hatching some babies get her off the darn nest?

If she was mine I would give her acouple fertile eggs to hatch out. I had a Buff Orp that set for 21 days on air and then still wanted to set so I gave her some fertile eggs she sat another 21 days. When the chicks hatched she was happy. Make sure she has access to food and fresh water daily, they can starve and die.

Yes! They will get off the nest if they have babies. Good luck with your broody
fl.gif

I agree - give that poor girl some eggs to hatch! I had a broody set for over a month on a dud egg - and she would barely eat or drink and starting looking pretty bad. When another broody's eggs started hatching, I took two of the ones that pipped and put them under the other broody. She was SO happy to have two little babies and she has been the best little mother.

Give her some eggs! It will break her broodiness and she'll be tickled to death to have some babies.

Pictures please!!!
big_smile.png

Penny

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You have a VERY good chance of them hatching in the bator!!!
roll.png
I would NEVER do that!!!!!!!!!!!I would give her some dummy eggs, and when the babies hatch,give some to her. Make sure you seperate her from the flock, I hate to push this point, but that mistake could be the end of baby chickens!!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

P.s goood luck!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png