If I take newly hatched ducklings from their mother for the night, will she take them back in the morning?

Sleep_Deprived

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2019
My broody duck has laid eggs and has hatched out two ducklings so far, I’m concerned for their safety at night because of a rat infestation that recently occurred. I was wondering if I put them in the brooder for the night for their own safety, will she take them back in the morning? They’ve been with her all day and they seem to have bonded well. I’ll move all the ducklings that have hatched along with her tomorrow to a safe pen, but I don’t want to disturb the nest while some are still hatching.

Wish I could help you but I have no idea. Is there some way you could move the mother and babies to a protected location? That would be best because even during the day I think a duckling might get hurt by a rat.

I’m concerned for their safety at night because of a rat infestation that recently occurred...I’ll move all the ducklings that have hatched along with her tomorrow to a safe pen, but I don’t want to disturb the nest while some are still hatching.

Is there a reason you are more concerned about the ones that already hatched, and not the ones that are still hatching? I would expect the nest to be equally safe (or unsafe) for all of them.

My broody duck has laid eggs and has hatched out two ducklings so far, I’m concerned for their safety at night because of a rat infestation that recently occurred. I was wondering if I put them in the brooder for the night for their own safety, will she take them back in the morning? They’ve been with her all day and they seem to have bonded well. I’ll move all the ducklings that have hatched along with her tomorrow to a safe pen, but I don’t want to disturb the nest while some are still hatching.
I also grow mint and lavender all around the coop and run to help deter rodents. Pinch leaves in the morning and night to increase the mint aroma. Dryer sheets help as well. Find scents rodents don’t like and it will help - key word help- keep them away.

Wish I could help you but I have no idea. Is there some way you could move the mother and babies to a protected location? That would be best because even during the day I think a duckling might get hurt by a rat.
Unfortunately that would mean she would abandon the rest of the hatching eggs. Once you move them they don’t sit on the eggs any longer.

Is there a reason you are more concerned about the ones that already hatched, and not the ones that are still hatching? I would expect the nest to be equally safe (or unsafe) for all of them.
I’m more concerned for the ones hatched rather than the ones hatching because they stray away from her at night. Thus far she’s only lost one egg, but I’m concerned a baby will poke its head out from under her to explore and the rats may grab them.

Back
Top Bottom