If it's not a fox, it's a eagle

StaceySwinkels

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
I posted a while ago how a fox got one of my hens, well today I lost one of my 8 week old olive egger chicks, it was my girl that was bullied by my leghorns about a month ago, who I didn't think was going to live, but managed to make a full recovery, only to be taken away from me today by a friggin' eagle.

They had all managed to sneak by me when I went in to check their food and water, I didn't see the harm in letting them explore a bit, while I made my kids lunch, I mean, they've been out before with no issues, we haven't seen the fox back, and our dog was out with them, and our 8 leghorns, but I was wrong. I went out to put them in, only to see a huge eagle flying off with her. I thought it got all of them at first, I couldn't find Ollie, Chocobo, or Sparky anywhere. Chocobo ended up being behind the house, where they've never been before, once I got her in, I went searching for the others. After having no luck I went to check on Chocobo in the coop, to find out Sparky had come in on her own through the door we made for the leghorns. Giving up my search I came in to call my husband and deliver the bad news, once that was done I went out to check on them once more to see them huddling a stack of hay, which I found Ollie hiding behind, can't let you know how happy I was to see him, he is my four year olds favorite.

Anyway sorry for the long story, I just needed to rant. Hope everyone else is having a better day than I am!

R.I.P Mog </3 February 21, 2013-April 19, 2013

Thank you, I'm still so upset over it. I normally stay out with them, and I don't know what I was thinking. The instant I saw the eagle my heart sank. Hopefully this will finally light a fire under my husbands *butt* and get him to build a caged in area where they can roam

Sorry for your loss. I would keep an eye out for that eagle if it was me. It probably has a nest with little ones & they are hunting all the time to feed there young.

Back
Top Bottom