If Its Not Done - It Needs To Be Done

Gatekeeper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Louisiana
There needs to be some standard type of abbreviation placed on eggs so you know what they are. Here is a partial list of the ones I use and please feel free to add to the list:

Anconas - ANC
Barnevelder -BNV
Barred Rocks - BRR
Black Austrolorps - BKAU
Black Minorcas - BKMN
Blue Andalusians - BLAN
Buckeyes - BKE
Buff Catalana
Buff Orpingtons - BO
Crevecoeurs - CRV
Dark Brahmas - DBH
Delaware - DEL
Dominiques - DOM
Golden Lakenvelder - GLV
Golden Sebrite - GSB
LaFleche - LAF
Naked Neck - NNK
Nankin - NAN
New Hampshire Red - NHR
Norwegian Jaerhons - NJH
Rhode Island Red - RIR
Salmon Faverolles - SF
Silver Sebrite - SSB
Silver Lakenvelders - SLV
Sultan - SLT
Welsummer - WEL
White Plymouth Rock - WPR
Wyandottes - WYD

Ok you get the idea. Toss out some of your own, lets see what you got.

Gate

I write on all my eggs what they are when I collect them. That way I know what Ive got.
smile.png

BRR barred rock, B/B/S is individually what? BR (the usual abrev for Barred, but B is black BLR- Blue, and SR, because you couldn't do SPR because that's a Silver Pencilled. PR is partridge rock. But BLR could be blue laced rock. You could totally screw the pooch in this one breed alone...

Personally, I think if you are in good communication and know what type of eggs you should be getting, there should not be a need for all that labeling.

I mark my eggs "MF" or "C", for mille fleur d'uccles and bantam cochins, as those are the only breeds I have laying right now. My bantam cochins are black mottled, so if I were to mark them like you are suggesting, I would have to put the date (i.e. 3-26) and BBMC on the egg, or 3-26 MFD or something like that. These eggs are not that big, and it would take a lot of space on the egg.

If the receiver were going to be hand turning, all that labeling wouldn't leave much room for them to write their 'x' and 'o' on them, let alone the set date.

It would be different if it were an egg from my OEGB, because there is no other way to label OEGB. Thank goodness she doesn't have a roo yet. I also label my silkies as 'S' and the date.

Just my 2 cents.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom