If only one hatches?

bel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
East bay
I put 4 sebastopol eggs in the hatcher and at least one is iffy, Only 1 pip so far.

If I can locate a seller with them I will order a few, but in the mean time I do have some really well behaved chicks who are the same size as a newly hatched gosling. If it comes to it could I take a couple chicks and put them in with the gosling until we get more? Do they have any issues like turkeys do where you shouldn't mix them?

Nope.. you will be forced to fashion a goose nappy from a washcloth and tuck the little thing into your jacket and then go about your day. Otherwise, he or she will be lonely.
Observe....
100_4049.JPG

smile.png

lol, I might want to do that anyways after seeing that pic, they are so ridiculously cute who wouldn't want to cuddle them.

I think goslings can recognize their own kind. I also have chicks and 2 goslings, and always goslings are together like shadow.
Goslings have so much more affection than chicks, they are only 3 days old and trying to sit on my lap already.
If you have only one gosling, I would buy another one to make them a pair.

im planning on raising a gosling with my chicks because from what ive heard they will not fight if they imprint at a early age on the chicks. i think that most of the time the only geese that attack chickens are ones that are raised with chicks and geese at the same time in the brooder because they learn they are a goose and chicks are not geese, or when the goose is not raised with the chicks when they are all young but im no expert
big_smile.png

I got Nigel by himself... and then when I saw how lonely he was I promptly ordered 2 different type but compatible size females from Ideal since they can be ordered alone. Long story short, he still loves me.. but if this doesn't show you how much geese love each other.. I don't know what would.. just look at the content & happiness in his eyes...

100_4105.JPG

That is the youngest girl over the top of his neck...

they are too cute. I'm really hoping more than one hatch, but looking for somewhere with sebastopols just in case, any recommendations?

Quote:
Yep, the best garment for a goose mama is a hoodie. My first pair of goslings lived in my hoodie or under my shirt (standing on my bust, my skin took a terrible hit). The downside is when a gosling poops directly into your ear, and you can't get it all out with a q tip. Get an ear syringe.

Best of all, get the gosling a friend. A single gosling will bond with chicks and not feel so lonely but will quickly outgrow them and become a baby Huey and step on the much smaller chicks. They will also need a different water set up, one deep enough to dip their entire bill in, which is too deep for chicks (drowning or at least getting soaked). A chick waterer is not deep enough for a gosling and if their nostrils get clogged, they won't eat and will sicken.

Let's hope more than one hatches for you, or else you may have a very human imprinted gosling who MUST be with you at all times or will cry piteously.

Finally a second pip, hopefully both do well and the third pips too.

edit, make that all 3 now
And ones sticking its webby toes out already

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom