If you are an EMT, love an EMT, or know an EMT...

Hubby is an EMTb and he loves doing it however most ambulance services rather get a paramedic for lower wages and they are a dime a doz. Most of the EMTb's are firefighters, first responders and police.

It is indeed a thankless job but what would we do without you guys??????
love.gif

Thanks, everybody! I have passed on this thread to my hubby. He has been working his way up from EMT-Basic to Intermediate to Paramedic. He is now working on his Emergency Management degree and then plans on eventually becoming an ER Doctor. He comes home and tells me how he was treated or about somethings that he has seen and it is amazing to me. There is no way that I could do what he does. It takes a special person to do that type of work and endure that much training (including Con-Ed courses every month and clinical time), get paid next to nothing, and then get called "crazy ambulance drivers." But, guess what? He's had some folks that changed their minds once they were scraped off the side of the road after having a bad wreck.

But, anyways, thanks for posting this!

Pretty good read. Truth doesn't hurt if you already know and accept it.

The best I ever heard was at an EMT's funeral.
"We learn, we forget, we relearn"

The one that got us all nodding and chuckling was when the speaker said," You learn more hanging onto the stretcher sliding down a hill in the snow then anything."

Will be am EMT-B for 10 years next May.

When I graduate and pass my boards, I'm hoping to take the RN to paramedic bridge program ASAP. I want to be useful on my nights off in case they need help for a transfer
smile.png
That, and I've always gone back and fourth between nursing and paramedic, so why not just do both?

In my next life I want to be a deputy sheriff
cool.png

This is my fifth year as an EMT (Well unofficial since I go on leave during the school year!) I'm still enjoying it, but volunteer work can be difficult at times. I've seen some nasty stuff, but the good stuff that happens every so often is more than enough to make it worth it. I'm hoping to get a paid EMT job doing transports while I work on getting my masters next year. I think I'll enjoy it, but I'm hoping I won't have to be there for too long.

The article was an excellent one. I passed it on to my EMT buddies.

I couldn't have said it any better.. I DID work exactly 5 years. The things I've seen and did. Undescribable. My husband still keeps his certs up but we both can't handle that anymore. There's just SO much drama. After a while, you do get jaded and bitter and just don't want to be "bothered" by other people's crap.

I'm considering an EMT course and volunteering for the local FD. The primary reason I want to do it is simply for the irreplaceable knowledge. Knowing that stuff when you're alone in the wilderness is pretty important. So...yeah, I will end up helping others but primarily, for me, it's selfish because mostly I want to be ready and able to help myself, my friends and my family when the occasion arises. (And seems like it always does, more often than not out here.)

Quote:
Look in to a wild lands medical class too. There good for teaching you how to be McGiver. Mtn Rescue is good to get in to to learn.

For legal reasons I dont have my EMTb but I took all the classes to know it. With every level you go up on paper your liability goes up to. I wouldn't have gotten my First Responder certification but its required to carry O2 an administer it.

Back
Top Bottom