If you have a pop door that slides up and down, what is it made of?

Painted wood.
jumpy.gif

I have a wood painted door/ramp. It swells and shrinks like mad in the sun and the rain. Just leave room for expansion and contraction if you use wood.

I would love to use a cutting board but I made my doors much bigger than any cutting board I have ever seen.
I have 8 pop up doors and I use wood in all of them and one is even the press board crap. It is one of the few that is painted but so far in the....let me see.....4 years, that I have been using them they have been fine.
On occasion one might stick if it gets knocked crooked but I think that was my frame design and not the warping of the board.

Good question. I was wondering that too. I used an doggy door insert that would be used in a sliding glass door. A narrow tall window that fit between the 16 inch spaced joists. The chickens jump though the doggy door but I have to lift the flap for them to do this. I need a pop door to secure the opening and then I may remove the flap.

We just added ours. We're still building the coop. It's 3/4" plywood and I plan to prime & paint it with exterior grade paint. Time will tell if it's a good set up. We used metal drawer slides for the railings and have an add-a-motor for automatic chicken door.

97463_dcp_4345.jpg
97463_dcp_4344.jpg

My door is metal. It's an unused dog door from my kennel. The dogs ate the plastic flap and the door is no longer manufactured so I had to get a new one. It is a metal plate that slides up and down in a channel and locks in place when down.

It's the little white door on the side. It's in the 'down' position.

coop.jpg

My door is wood and it has swelled and stuck shut. In fact, it just did it tonight after 2 days of heavy rains and high humidity. Will need to shave it down a bit on the sides to stop that from happening.

Hi, I used an old street sign....metal... about 1/8" thick.... in a simple wooden track. No binding, goes up and down flawlessly. Mine is attached to an add-a-motor auto door opener, linked to a christams light timer. Up in am and down in pm. Works great...however, you could rig it up to raise manually with small diameter rope and pully's from outside. Use your imagination. As long as it is easy to open and close to keep ya girls safe at night, that's all that matters. Hope this helps.
erik

Back
Top Bottom