if you have chickens can you raise quail?

Quote:
You're doing it because apparently your birds are not carrying any diseases. It's an awful way to learn that your chickens carry coryza or mycoplasma by waking up to a bunch of dead quail. Better safe than sorry and keep them well away from each other. I'm not an expert but I've read enough on here to know that keeping them in close proximity with chickens is only asking for trouble.

Guess no one really knows time catches up with all living things. Its not if its when. If someone like the OP ask a question as asked I would answer it the same way I did. The reason I would is because I'm doing it ,are I've experienced what their asking. If I have not experienced the situation I would let the OP know that its something I've read about . Ive learned alot on this site but one thing I've learned is don't believe everything you read. I guess animals are like people there's no two exactly alike. Obviously I'm gonna leave my birds as they are I too hope they live a healthy life you just never know. Its a game called life. Tonight's another night some stinking predator could possibly get into my coop & wipe me out I hope not but again I read about it all the time.

HOW ABOUT PICS? WOULD YOU BELEIVE THEM?

I keep mine almost side by side. About 10-12 feet away, and there is a board fence. No droppings are being transferred and I feed and water the quail first. That works alright for me, but I would rather have them apart though. The only reason I don't is if I did the quail wouldn't have shade.

Quote:
I hear you me too its all good . You never know whats next when raising birds. Its a crap shoot. You got every predator in the world blah blah. Diseases shoot just go for it. Its not a perfect world. Shoot my property is in terrible shape I've never seen it look so pitiful haven't had any rain for ever what do you do.

Quote:
Guess no one really knows time catches up with all living things. Its not if its when. If someone like the OP ask a question as asked I would answer it the same way I did. The reason I would is because I'm doing it ,are I've experienced what their asking. If I have not experienced the situation I would let the OP know that its something I've read about . Ive learned alot on this site but one thing I've learned is don't believe everything you read. I guess animals are like people there's no two exactly alike. Obviously I'm gonna leave my birds as they are I too hope they live a healthy life you just never know. Its a game called life. Tonight's another night some stinking predator could possibly get into my coop & wipe me out I hope not but again I read about it all the time.

HOW ABOUT PICS? WOULD YOU BELEIVE THEM?

Pics of what birds dead next to each other sure I'd believe it. So what. Animals live in the wild side by side & die everyday its just the way nature works. You can raise quail next to chickens will they get sick who really knows mine haven't. Again I hope they don't. But who knows.Birds are like humans they get sick & die.Disease is just a way of the world I lost both of my parents to cancer I hate it but it happens .

Quote:
As you can see this subject is one of those that riles people up pretty quickly...
Quail don't have any immunity to chicken diseases and the worst ones ,to my understanding, are AIRBOURNE ones so keep the 2 species separate and take commonsense BIOSECURITY measures such as tending the quail before the chickens,sanitize your hands and don't mix feed and water dishes between them ,that sort of thing....Just because some people have managed healthy birds togetyher doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Good Luck with your birds!

I have both, but in small numbers, however I keep biosecurity in place. All birds I have were hatched here, I don't bring them in, I don't visit other's flocks, no chickenstocks or fairs. My chickens and quail are maybe 8 feet away (seperated by a concrete patio) and do fine. I would not have them share a coop/run/feeder, but for the most part we head off illness before it reaches us. Never had a sick quail or chicken, have lost 1-2 to heat stroke though. I think the key is to look at dangers from most> least likely for your flock and area, and plan for that.

Back
Top Bottom