if you raise ginni's with chickens will the gins think they'rechickens

MsMoss

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
My dad raised them together from itty bitty birds, and he says now the ginni's all think they're chickens, and act like chickens, I am not quite sure I buy that the ginni's think they're chickens just because they act more like the chickens than ginni's but who knows.

That is so funny, I was just wondering that myself. Our guineas our in with the flock and are really very calm. They don't talk unless they get separated while out. I am just happy they are calm. Good luck

They may get along until they approach mating age, then they may turn on the chickens. That's why I was forced to rehome four very tame guineas who were pretty much raised in the coop with my hens. Alpha male began attacking one hen, then it progressed to all four guineas attacking the other three that looked just like her (RIRs). Later, they turned on my BR rooster and I couldnt take it anymore. They act nothing like chickens, they attack like wild gang members, etc. They just are not chickens.

People may think they're like chickens, but guineas know who they are and act accordingly.

MsMoss: My dad raised them together from itty bitty birds, and he says now the ginni's (sic) all think they're chickens, and act like chickens,

If raised by and with chickens, Guineas WILL NOT think they are chickens. They know they are Guineas. Guineas are a very different fowl altogether than chickens and do not act like chickens. On this matter & this Father's Day, even a Dad can be wrong about some things.​

I giggled a bit at the last thread. Who ever said their ginni don't call much are very lucky, we had one that screamed basically all day for no apparent reason, and after my dad butchered it , 4 more started catterwalling endlessly, 2 of them were outside the garage doorway where I sleep, catterwalling at 5 am. Made me incredibly grumpy.

Back
Top Bottom