If you sell your eggs... (for eatin', I mean)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by allig8r, Mar 7, 2008.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you find out what the laws are about this? [​IMG]

The ladies barely keep up with us, but if I'm gonna get more--I'm goin' whole hog and REALLY getting more! Hubby is now addicted! [​IMG] I have to strike while the iron is hot!

Any idears?

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Search for "selling eggs" in your state on the internet. Your local university agriculture extension probably has the info.

I suspect that it will be like my state. You can sell to individuals with very little restrictions on a small scale, but if you want to sell at farmer's markets or to stores/restaurants then there will be more restrictions.

3. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure about the laws. We have about 4 or 5 dozen eggs go out for sale a week in the summer months, all the business is from a hand painted sign at my driveway end that says Brown Eggs $1.50/dz.
    I know a fair amount of people who do the same thing in our area, including a woman who has 175+ laying hens. She has drive-by traffic and delivers a route twice a week, including a small private nursing home.
    She has no permits, so maybe different areas have different laws for such things.
    Our neighbor down the road is a county sheriff, and he is one of my best customers for eggs, so I'm guessing I'm not breaking any laws, LOL.

Good luck.
    Em

4. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Tried that already. Maybe if I CALL the useless extension office.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Yeah, I'd do that. Most likely you'll find there aren't any restrictions as long as you sell directly to consumers.

6. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I don't sell allot of my eggs but I told the few girls that buy them that I am not selling the eggs, I am asking for a donation to help with the cost of the feed and the egg cartons. That way they can't touch you.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by