if you're in the yard would a predator attack?

MEP2013

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2015
Has anyone ever been in the area when their chickens were attacked? We have six chickens and a baby bunny. I am so worried about a hawk swooping down on them while my kids and I are standing right there. I don't think a fisher cat or raccoon would show themselves but I am concerned about Hawks. My kids would be traumatized for life!

Sometimes but not nearly as often. I have Red Foxes and Coopers Hawks come in with me present and in plain site. Domestic dogs also. Attacks with you absent much more frequent. If predator thinks you are aware of it then tit does not normally come in unless a dog. I step between predator and towards it when I can.

I have even had predators come in with my dogs (and I) present which very frequently results in predator becoming dead prey.

Take note the bold. I have extensive experience with predators.

Last edited:
Absolutely, hawks will attack with you in the yard. Once my birds were scratching about while I was sitting on the deck in the sun. Over the top of our neighbors house something caught my eye, it was descending fast at about 45 degree angle but still far away. It took me a second or two to realize it was a Red Tail in attack mode. In three bounds I was from chair down steps and standing in line of it's swoop waving my arms. As it crested the neighbors ridge line it quickly veered to continue swoop over river and away it went.

Many people have had hawks kill a bird as they were not 20ft away doing yard chores.

Thank you for your replies. This is so sad to me. I really wanted my chickens to roam my yard when my kids and I are out but now I'm too worried. My husband is in the middle of making a large chicken enclosure which I guess will have to be good enough.
My bunny is never out without one of us playing with him so I think he'll be fine. I can't imagine a hawk would swoop on something that I am standing over. I have noticed them circling while he's out though and I put him back in his hutch quickly. My husband thinks I'm crazy and a hawk would never swoop while we are out there but obviously they do.
I actually love all of our Hawks because they really keep the mice and chipmunks at bay, but now they make me nervous.

I've had mink attack in broad daylight running through the long grass right past me. Also had hawks and an injured owl attack while I was standing right there. I've also had owls do very scary "fly-bys" at my Pomeranian dog at night! That was really, really creepy as you could feel the air displaced by the wings.

All that being said, we still have free-range animals. Yes, every year we lose one or two but the trade off of having a thriving, happy yard is worth it, imo. There's definitely a learning curve to hunting the hunters--the first year we lost 14 chickens before we finally nailed the culprit. And there are laws, you can't shoot an owl, for example (but fortunately in my area, the owls only pass thru for a short period of time--so now we know when to step up other security measures). Most importantly, a secure roost at night and do not let your birds out until the sun is high in the sky. Keep a good rooster, he's worth his weight in gold as he'll always be watching and will sound the alarm before running for shelter himself. A few good battle-axe hens will do the same, keeping the youngsters safe in a daylight attack. Provide run-in shelters and keep the grass low. Weasels and mink will attack from a tuft of grass but will not like to be running across a trim lawn.

The birds who survive will learn from the loss and grow stronger. And a good rifle helps, too.

lol, sorry--"battle-axe hen" is just a name I have for those hens that you've had around long enough that they're "tough old birds"--not the prettiest any more, don't lay a lot of eggs, never one to pick a fight (but definitely the one to finish it should some young chick try to take her on)...they're the ones who will "run the show" if you've got a weak rooster, or keep him in place if he's too aggressive and they'll also command the respect of the rest of the birds because they have accumulated the knowledge and experience necessary to keep the flock running smoothly. These are birds you'll need if you want to have a free range flock, imo.

This is why I hate it when people cull all their old hens when they start to lay every 3rd day instead of every second. Sometimes that lack of an egg is made up for by everything else that "old battle axe hen" has to offer to the health and wellbeing of the flock as a whole.

If you think about it, it's the same as in any "society"--you can't just have a bunch of teenagers left to fend for themselves. Yes, they may be pretty and fertile but they're idiots, lol, and they need someone who's "been there, done that" enough to keep order and teach them the ropes. The flock will self-organize (develop their own "pecking order") and it helps them all if there's a few old gals in the mix as well as an even-tempered, smart rooster.

Back
Top Bottom