If you're Unincorporated, which Ordinances do you follow?

Yep. Wikipedia has a list of states that have townships for a government form & places that used to have them but don't use them much anymore.

All the standard disclaimers apply regarding the reliability or lack thereof for wikipedia BUT it's a place to read what the term means, if someone needs to do so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Township_%28United_States%29

The
article does point out that the word precinct is used in one or two places in place of township.

Also, in Louisiana, you don't have counties, but do have a Parrish.

Edited to add: Isn't borough used in Alaska in place of county? Not so certain about this one...

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes Alaska has Boroughs not counties. Nebraska is a state that has townships in counties with county supervisors and precincts in counties with county commissioners. With all that aside we still need to know at least what state the original poster lives in so we know what to tell them about unincorporated areas of the county.

A lot of people here have given you good feedback. I think, here in San Diego County, you would mostly follow county and state ordinances. However, one also needs to check their zoning classification. Not all unincorporated areas are zoned for livestock and poultry. If you are zoned rural-residential, for example, you might want to check with your community regarding keeping poultry.

In posts like this, it helps GREATLY to know where you are. Northeast? Midwest? New Zealand? If you are in many parts of the West, then you would be under the County regulations. And, as always, the LACK of regulations concerning chickens means you can have chickens.

Quote:
DuPage County, Illinois, USA. I do not want to give the specific unincorporated city though due to a dangerous relative (I doubt they are here on the forums, but I dont trust google.

Ok, i figured out my township thanks to your mentioning it and looking on Wikipedia (Never knew about townships!)

I've been asking around (I mean, in person, like at city hall or on the phone to the county- but I get conflicting info, or the people outright admit they have no idea the answer or where to look for it :-/ Heck, no one even told me about this Township thing until I heard of it here!)

Back
Top Bottom