***Ill Baby Chick***

OkieB

Songster
Dec 9, 2017
8 days ago... I purchased 12 baby chicks from 2 different Tractor Supply stores.

One of them has developed matted/slimy eyes (not swollen). And some sneezing.

She is eating, drinking, pooping just fine. Droppings look normal. She seems to feel okay, other than just annoyed with her eyes. 20180313_112454.jpg

I have removed her from the others in case she is contagious.

Does anyone have any ideas/treatments?

Attachments

• 20180313_112449.jpg
    20180313_112449.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 8
It could be a respiratory infection. Keep her eye cleaned with a wet compress if it gets messy or crusted. Terramycin eye ointment can be applied twice a day into the eye (just a tiny dot of it.) Make sure that she is warm, and drinking water. If she appears really ill, you can get injectable Tylan 50 in the cattle medicines, and give her 0.1 ml twice a day, by give it into her beak a drop at a time.

Thanks for the information. Where can I get the Terramycin if needed?

And I have Tylan 50 already... she is lively, drinking, eating well.

Most feed stores have it, but they may lock it up since it is a small item. Vets have it as well as erythomycin ointment, and others.

Okay. Good to know. Thanks for your advice. Greatly appreciated. Should I still keep her away from the others?

It could be a respiratory infection. Keep her eye cleaned with a wet compress if it gets messy or crusted. Terramycin eye ointment can be applied twice a day into the eye (just a tiny dot of it.) Make sure that she is warm, and drinking water. If she appears really ill, you can get injectable Tylan 50 in the cattle medicines, and give her 0.1 ml twice a day, by give it into her beak a drop at a time.
I wanted you to know that your advice more than likely saved my baby, Minnie. She is now a going and a blowing with her peers. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom