Ill hen ??

lovemybuffy

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
I have an 18 month old Welsummer hen who seems off. She was often henpecked by a rooster that is longer with us so she has always been a bit timid. Lately she seems lethargic and I noticed she seemed to have trouble with balance to the point she will stick out her wing to stay upright. Her comb seems a little light but she doesn’t have much of it left due to the other hens pulling on it. She is eating ok, drinking ok, joins in with being let out of the run enthusiastically with the others, but sometimes before I let them out, she just sits around , usually in a corner, with her feathers kind of puffed up and often with her eyes closed. Any ideas on what may be wrong ?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Do you have any pictures of the hen standing? Is her tail position up or down? How does her crop feel early in the morning—empty and flat, full, hard, or puffy? Is her lower belly down between her legs enlarged? Has she been laying eggs recently? Is she molting?

lovemybuffy

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
Do you have any pictures of the hen standing? Is her tail position up or down? How does her crop feel early in the morning—empty and flat, full, hard, or puffy? Is her lower belly down between her legs enlarged? Has she been laying eggs recently? Is she molting?

Attachments

• 5685C94B-1766-40E7-B249-C1DE56DA885B.jpeg
    5685C94B-1766-40E7-B249-C1DE56DA885B.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 0

lovemybuffy

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
Thank you for your reply. Here is a pic of her. This is usually how she is, by herself and looking all puffy. Sometimes with her eyes shut. Yes, her crop is very hard and full, her lower belly between her legs feels normal, she has not laid an egg for several days, she is not molting. The other hens would peck on her head while the rooster mounted on her when he lived here and so she had no feathers on her head or her back. The rooster was constantly targeting her. But she has regrown all her feathers back and with rooster gone the others are not so intent on picking on her.

Top Bottom