Illegal Eggs Shippments

Master S.M.C

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2009
Maryland
So I was reading my e-mail earlier today, and I received an message from the Secretary of the Australian Brahma club, stating that it would be illegal to have eggs shipped to the U.S. Is this true because, I have been looking in to purchasing some from a fancier in Austria and I don't want to pay all that money and not be able to get my eggs.

I am wondering even if it isnt illegal, would the shipping take so long that the eggs wouldnt be viable when they finally did arrive?

I know that there are rules about shipping eggs between states so I imagine that there are many more for shipping in from another country.

Hope someone here has a solid answer for you.

When purchasing eggs from outside the U.S. there is a lot of red tape you have to go through to do it legally. You can't just have eggs shipped here without going through the proper channels. I wish I could tell you exactly how that is all done, but I've never been interested in getting eggs from another country so I can't tell you exactly how it's done. All I know is that there is a lot involved in getting them here in a legal manner.

Thanks for the help, I see I could have gotten myself in a lot of trouble. Thanks Wombat, I read the hatching eggs requirements and all i can say is that is too much work and unfortunately shipping eggs here is out of the question

Yeah, I think you'd have to be really serious about getting specific breeding stock to go through the work involved.

That second link wombat is perfect! Great info. there.
thumbsup.gif

I don't see Austria on that list of having temporary shipping ban. I've had someone who I know ship eggs from England and he was telling me all about the vet certificate and all of the red tape he had to go through. In the end, he ended up forking out several hundred dollars to get the eggs here that he wanted. Somewhere around $400 if I remember right.

That sounds about right.

I've heard it's easier to import live birds than to try to put hatching egss through quarantine ... but at $19.00 per day per bird x 30 days quarantine, you better really want those birds!

Personally, I could never find the time or space for all the birds I could potentially get locally, so I could not see going to this sort of effort. OTOH, I'm not into breeding. As long as they give me nice eggs for my omlets and chicken poop for my composter, I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom