Illinois...

Cool! Glad to see they still have the chick bins.

I tried to find out if they were selling chicks in store and the girl pretty much said they would only be "special order" via the website this year. I couldn't believe they would stop selling bulk chicks since seeing them in the store has always been an early sign that spring is coming. (I never actually bought chicks this way, but it makes sense for some people who only want a couple chicks.)

BTW- If you do want to special order chicks, there's a 5 chick per breed min. ie - If you want 1 BR and 1 RIR, you would have to order 5 of each = 10 chicks. That's why the store goes ahead orders some of the common breeds in bulk so people only wanting 3-4 chicks can have variety. However if you're looking for a rare breed, then you would have to special order since the store really only buys the common popular breeds. It's still cheaper to order via Farm and Fleet than directly from Cackle. It saves you the shipping costs.

Cool! Glad to see they still have the chick bins.

I tried to find out if they were selling chicks in store and the girl pretty much said they would only be "special order" via the website this year. I couldn't believe they would stop selling bulk chicks since seeing them in the store has always been an early sign that spring is coming. (I never actually bought chicks this way, but it makes sense for some people who only want a couple chicks.)

BTW- If you do want to special order chicks, there's a 5 chick per breed min. ie - If you want 1 BR and 1 RIR, you would have to order 5 of each = 10 chicks. That's why the store goes ahead orders some of the common breeds in bulk so people only wanting 3-4 chicks can have variety. However if you're looking for a rare breed, then you would have to special order since the store really only buys the common popular breeds. It's still cheaper to order via Farm and Fleet than directly from Cackle. It saves you the shipping costs.
I spoke with someone at Ottawa F&F and she said they were going to order only a few for the store too.
I give myself an A+ for leaving without chicks lol. If I saw Light Brahma or EE in stock might have ended different though.
I need to replace run and coop before adding.

I spoke with someone at Ottawa F&F and she said they were going to order only a few for the store too.
I give myself an A+ for leaving without chicks lol. If I saw Light Brahma or EE in stock might have ended different though.
I need to replace run and coop before adding.
Great self-control! I also get tempted but still enjoy seeing them.

For me it's more about controlling my broody hens. If you ever want a huge Orpington or useless little serama, just let me know. I've been spreading my orps throughout the Chicagoland area. LOL

Great self-control! I also get tempted but still enjoy seeing them.

For me it's more about controlling my broody hens. If you ever want a huge Orpington or useless little serama, just let me know. I've been spreading my orps throughout the Chicagoland area. LOL
I would get rid of my orpington if i could. She quit laying 8 months ago or so. Any time she leaves her coop the rooster beats her up. Shes the last of our first flock around 4 years old (I've had her 2 years ish?). I hear people say their orp lives 8 years and I hope that's not the case here. The serama look cool (have any pictures?) But yes, worthless.

The serama look cool (have any pictures?) But yes, worthless.
Now you are hurting their feelings,,,, and mine.. :hit:gig

It is end of Meteorological winter.:thumbsup so I set my flock into outdoor coop housing. They were grazing in the backyard all day, and then went nity-nite in coop. Pop door on automatic dawn opening, so all is back to as usual.
Here are my 2 Seramas:love I got from Faraday last summer. Dyna, and Savanna.

IMG_20190724_194930497_HDR.jpg

I will take some pix of my current flock in a day or so. My totals are; 5 Banties, 2 Polish, and 1 RIR.
When I build my New Coop:thprogress is slower than I wish:( I am thinking of adding 2 chickens. Not sure which breed, but still looking to add an Icelandic, and maybe an Ayam Cemani, or a Naked Neck.:idunno

It is end of Meteorological winter.:thumbsup so I set my flock into outdoor coop housing. They were grazing in the backyard all day, and then went nity-nite in coop. Pop door on automatic dawn opening, so all is back to as usual.

View attachment 2039878
I will take some pix of my current flock in a day or so. My totals are; 5 Banties, 2 Polish, and 1 RIR.
When I build my New Coop:thprogress is slower than I wish:( I am thinking of adding 2 chickens. Not sure which breed, but still looking to add an Icelandic, and maybe an Ayam Cemani, or a Naked Neck.:idunno

Looks like the hens are showing you the lumber to use for their new coop. LOL

I know some one who breeds Ayam Cermani. (Actually 2 people but one got out of them) They look cool but personalities are not outgoing and friendly like many chicken breeds. More wild-like. I also met someone with Svart Hona (Swedish Black hens) They're more winter hardy (like Icelandics) so I thought about getting one a few years back. Decided to stick with my round black orps.

The naked necks are supposed to be friendly..... but I can't get past the looks. If you do decide to get a Ayam Cermani, I can give you an intro.

Another fun breed is the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. (Dalmation chicken with a mohawk) They're easy on the food bill and pretty sweet. Probably very similar to your Polish. @homeschoolin momma breeds them.

The serama look cool (have any pictures?) But yes, worthless.
I'm breeding silkied seramas. Most are size B & C.

Here's "Solo" one of my favs. She leans into me when I pet her and rolls to her side like a dog. Never had another chicken do that. Very sweet.
IMG_1931 (2).JPG

Here's Noodle one of my smooth seramas
IMG_6808.JPG

Our spoiled rooster visiting the hens.
IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_5233 copy.jpg

Teddy is DD's pet. He sleeps in her room.
DD gave Teddy a "spa day" so he's currently pink (looks like cotton candy)

Here are some chicks from last summer:
seramas 1.jpg

View attachment 2039878
Ok ok I'll clarify..... they are a cool breed, I do think the thai (I think) roosters are cool. They just aren't a personal interest I have. I want eggs! I eat 4-5 a day or more myself. I want to get some cornish cross and raise broilers but I might have a hard time. I even got tired of shooting possum I catch and let them go after a couple days.
The best chicken I ever had is a small place middle of nowhere MN. They serve fresh, never frozen best chicken you ever had. I do think it is a good life lesson (like in article by BReeder) and good skill to have.

View attachment 2039878
I have to build new run and coop this year too. Currently working out plans. What is good building materials (affordable)?
Any critique or inspiration on simple run design?
I am trying to incorporate a room I can separate/quarantine.
20200301_225436.jpg

Back
Top Bottom