Illinois...

As far as prices go, eggs are the cheapest option and a sexed hen the most expensive. The blk orps are pure English therefore not a mutt or mixed breed. They've been bred for show quality, tenting, color, etc. I love mine! They are great layers, go broody, and make great mamas! Their temperament is calm and quiet, can deal with being confined in the winter but love to range.

I plan to have an Easter hatch, if my hens agree and go broody around that time. The ones that do hatch will be unsexable, meaning that I won't be able to determine their gender as they are not sex linked chickens. We have a few options available. I can sell them as unknown gender (straight run), grow them up a bit the have better odds of guessing correctly, or sell them when I know for sure.

I plan to have an Easter hatch, if my hens agree and go broody around that time. The ones that do hatch will be unsexable, meaning that I won't be able to determine their gender as they are not sex linked chickens. We have a few options available. I can sell them as unknown gender (straight run), grow them up a bit the have better odds of guessing correctly, or sell them when I know for sure.

Sounds great - how long does it take to be able to tell what sex they are? Easter is late this year, right? Either way, sounds great. Let's do keep in touch!

mmdeford - to be 100% sure, it would take a few months and the cost would be $75 each for an English Black Orpington (non-laying) pullet. For a good guess, it would take a few weeks and the cost would be $30 and for an unsexed day old chick it will cost $10. The cost difference is based on food expense and the value of the breed.

When I first started, I found some cheap $4 Rhode Island Red and Production Red chicks that were mixed breed and out of 10 day-old unsexed chicks, I got 7 roos. Out of the 3 girls I had 2 were semi-agressive. After a year of having these 3 girls, I looked into a more docile breed, that would be good with my kids, and that would be great mommas. That is when I decided to get a heritage breed orpington. These ladies are so sweet, love my kids, great for showing and are great layers and mommas.

Please make sure that you read up on space required when building your coop. Also, plan ahead for nesting, ventilation, winter protection, lighting, etc. With 2 hens you will be getting 1-2 eggs per day, are you planning to have them as pets or for eggs? If you have a large family and you are buying them for eggs, you might want to start off with only 2, but I'd definitely build a coop for 10. That way you won't have to expand later on when you want more.

If you have any questions or concerns, please ask. I am willing to help!

mmdeford - to be 100% sure, it would take a few months and the cost would be $75 each for an English Black Orpington (non-laying) pullet. For a good guess, it would take a few weeks and the cost would be $30 and for an unsexed day old chick it will cost $10. The cost difference is based on food expense and the value of the breed.

When I first started, I found some cheap $4 Rhode Island Red and Production Red chicks that were mixed breed and out of 10 day-old unsexed chicks, I got 7 roos. Out of the 3 girls I had 2 were semi-agressive. After a year of having these 3 girls, I looked into a more docile breed, that would be good with my kids, and that would be great mommas. That is when I decided to get a heritage breed orpington. These ladies are so sweet, love my kids, great for showing and are great layers and mommas.

Please make sure that you read up on space required when building your coop. Also, plan ahead for nesting, ventilation, winter protection, lighting, etc. With 2 hens you will be getting 1-2 eggs per day, are you planning to have them as pets or for eggs? If you have a large family and you are buying them for eggs, you might want to start off with only 2, but I'd definitely build a coop for 10. That way you won't have to expand later on when you want more.

If you have any questions or concerns, please ask. I am willing to help!

WOW- that is alot of information. Can I say I'm overwhelmed?? hahah - My hub and I did pick out a coop plan, based on this site. We can only have 6 chickens per our square footage, and that is way too many for my husband! And we are not allowed to have roosters! Lots to think about, that is for sure. Thank you so much for all your help.

Hello, I came here to this site hoping to find a selection of local hatching eggs. I am looking for rhode island reds, and black australorps. I might also be interested in buff orpingtons and dorkings. I am trying to get away from having these eggs shipped. Does anyone here sell these types of eggs within 100 miles of Richland county Illinois. Richland county is about 120 miles east of St Louis, MO.

try your local farm auction..i have red dorkings but i am closer to the quad city area .i just set some eggs 6 days ago to test my fertility and 6 out of 7 look great..I would give you eggs as an experiment in shipping if you would just pay postage, They still would be shipped but not that far probably would get there in a day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom