Illinois...

The fertile egg vs abortion is not the same thing. Fertile eggs start growing a chick when the incubation starts. Wild turkeys lay an egg a day for 12-14 days and will not sit on eggs til last egg is laid. The chicks will all hatch within 24 hours. So you cannot compare a human to a fertile egg. So what came first the chicken or the egg? The chicken.
wink.png

Do you have it down pact, or are you just smokin us.???? Curious to know. The auto sexing. I know about sex links.

Still selecting but yes it is true . These are from a crested cream Legbar rooster over some crele EE hens . I will use a crele EE rooster later . I recently added 3 Rhodebar hens to this pen . I started these a couple of years ago . There is some buff/wheaten in the mix that I must weed out as the light colored chicks make it harder to tell .

My Legbar trio .

The fertile egg vs abortion is not the same thing. Fertile eggs start growing a chick when the incubation starts. Wild turkeys lay an egg a day for 12-14 days and will not sit on eggs til last egg is laid. The chicks will all hatch within 24 hours. So you cannot compare a human to a fertile egg. So what came first the chicken or the egg? The chicken. ;)

But.... The fertilized embryo is still in the egg. Its not like it becomes fertile once incubation starts. Its just kind of in a hibernating state until incubation. So yeah, you're not eating a fetus, but your eating the embryo which is where it starts. Frankly I could care less, just didn't know how the antiabortion people felt about that

But.... The fertilized embryo is still in the egg. Its not like it becomes fertile once incubation starts. Its just kind of in a hibernating state until incubation. So yeah, you're not eating a fetus, but your eating the embryo which is where it starts. Frankly I could care less, just didn't know how the antiabortion people felt about that
My students (when seeing my roo) have asked me if our hens' eggs are fertile & if I eat them. Yes to both. I simply explain that it's like eating a seed. A seed is not yet a plant, but it has the potential to become a plant. Seeds begin to grow only when the conditions are right for germination. Likewise with eggs. If we gather them often & do not allow a hen to incubate, the egg will never start to develop.

My Welsummer decided to go broody today! This is my first experience with this and were about to get two of the coldest days in 79yrs or something crazy like that! She's sitting in a pile of hay, not far from the perch her sisters sleep on (I only have 3). I took her eggs and golfballs away and she made this crazy annoyed purring sound but didn't peck at me. I'm really hoping she changes her mind, it's too cold to not get the water while it's thawed. Anything I can do to persuade her to abandon nest and cuddle on the perch at night?
Silly chicken!

I think the weather today did it! I got home from work and she was sitting on an egg she laid and the eggs her sisters laid so she obviously moved so they could lay them. She growl purred when I took them and then got up for some scratch. Just checked and she's on the perch with the others. These are NOT the temps to isolate yourself so I'm glad they are back together. It's cccooollddd!:barnie

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom