Illinois...

In 2013-14, we hatched 78 chicks. (via schools, camps, & @ home). We really only want to keep 10 as pets, so most were sold. The good news is that her chick sales paid for the fancy purebred eggs. (So basically, the chickens we kept were free.) I sell any extra eggs at the end of the week & that about pays for their feed. I guess it's our way of supporting our chicken addiction.

Thankfully our neighbors are very supportive.......and who can say no to a little girls' lemonade stand! (or in this case a cupcake, OJ & egg stand)

What a wonderful lesson she is learning....fun hobbies don't have to cost a lot of money!!
I have an Icelandic hen that was named by a little girl, her name is Cupcake!

Quote: Maybe at 25 you could get away with the eggs stand.......but the cupcakes and lemonade, not so much....

Just wanted to share, I received my first blue egg today!
Congrats!! It looks a decent size too.
Only chicken people can truly understand how exciting it is to find that first egg (or second, third, etc...) I took all kinds of pics & sent emails out to all my family members. Photos like: egg in the nest, egg next to the hen, egg next to other eggs, egg in the fry pan, etc.

If you really want to show off the color, try a white background in natural sunlight.

First egg ever, second egg ever, first egg of a different color, the first egg after molting, first egg after being broody and for first egg for my youngest pullet hatched the last week of September '14 and laid yesterday..........they are all exciting!!

1st egg of the New Year!

1st Bantam egg

1st UGLY egg

store egg vs backyard egg (The last store egg we ever bought compared to our 1st backyard egg. Yum!)

Our 1st egg sandwich on homemade bread.
(Had to save up eggs for a whole week to be able to make this meal. LOL)

DD gathering Tyrion's 1st egg

Our 1st Easter with backyard eggs. (We didn't dye them b/c the hens already gave us a rainbow. The kids added decals instead.)

Our 1st chicks from OUR flock

....and the list goes on & on.

Oh. I forgot to mention:
The 1st egg over 3 oz!
This hen always makes Jumbo eggs. Normally between 2.8-3.0 oz. But sometimes, we get this.

Ouch!

Oh. I forgot to mention:
The 1st egg over 3 oz!
This hen always makes Jumbo eggs. Normally between 2.8-3.0 oz. But sometimes, we get this.

Ouch!

More painful then childbirth,
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom