Illinois...

I had heard that there were other folks in my neighborhood that had chickens, so I started a Facebook group page and posted it on the Moms groups in the neighborhood. To my surprise, 26 people joined from the neighborhood. Maybe you can find them that way.

I'm not certain it would be appropriate for me to post in a Moms group, but that's a good idea! I might just have to drop them an introductory postcard!

I have two other neighbors who are interested in keeping hens. What a soothing racket that would make!

One of my girls went broody yesterday. Astrid, Buff Orpington. She sat on two golf balls and her egg from yesterday morning until just now. Made for quite a traffic jam today. She chose the favorite nest. I just took her off the nest... Carried her around for a few minutes and put her on the patio with her friends and a meal worm buffet. She went after the meal worms, feathers still ruffled, and returned to the nest - minus the egg. I left the golf balls. Guess I'll keep trying. She's my first broody. She's not too upset when I move her and doesn't seem to mind that I left the nest door open... She just wants that spot!

I'm not certain it would be appropriate for me to post in a Moms group, but that's a good idea! I might just have to drop them an introductory postcard!

I have two other neighbors who are interested in keeping hens. What a soothing racket that would make!

One of my girls went broody yesterday. Astrid, Buff Orpington. She sat on two golf balls and her egg from yesterday morning until just now. Made for quite a traffic jam today. She chose the favorite nest. I just took her off the nest... Carried her around for a few minutes and put her on the patio with her friends and a meal worm buffet. She went after the meal worms, feathers still ruffled, and returned to the nest - minus the egg. I left the golf balls. Guess I'll keep trying. She's my first broody. She's not too upset when I move her and doesn't seem to mind that I left the nest door open... She just wants that spot!

Good Luck with the broody, my Buff Orp has never gone broody, but she kind of growls if I go into the nesting boxes while she is in there. I might be scared of her if she ever goes broody, LOL.

Hi everyone! Just poking my nose back in here. :) I've avoided the site for a long while, it being far too tempting to look through... but we FINALLY have agreement from my husband! If we can get things straightened out here (planning coop site, for one major example) we'll be getting chicks soon.

Anyways, just a quick hello, and trying to get back into the swing of research. We're up in the NW suburbs, and local regs allow 6 hens and 0 roosters. *sigh* I'm hoping to build for 6, plan on 4 for this year, which should allow for the inevitable "awwwww, baby chicks!" issue next year. *lol*

Good Luck with the broody, my Buff Orp has never gone broody, but she kind of growls if I go into the nesting boxes while she is in there. I might be scared of her if she ever goes broody, LOL.

Thanks! I think I'm just gonna move her whenever I get a chance. Later this afternoon we dug in the compost pile. Time for treats now... I'll probably put her on the roost with the others before dark.

Thanks! I think I'm just gonna move her whenever I get a chance. Later this afternoon we dug in the compost pile. Time for treats now... I'll probably put her on the roost with the others before dark.

Good luck, hope it works! I am wondering if I should bring my almost 7 week old marans in for the night. Its suppose to get close to freezing tonite. I just moved them out, last weekend. I think I will, just to be safe.

Hi everyone!  Just poking my nose back in here.  :)  I've avoided the site for a long while, it being far too tempting to look through... but we FINALLY have agreement from my husband!  If we can get things straightened out here (planning coop site, for one major example) we'll be getting chicks soon.  

Anyways, just a quick hello, and trying to get back into the swing of research.  We're up in the NW suburbs, and local regs allow 6 hens and 0 roosters.  *sigh*  I'm hoping to build for 6, plan on 4 for this year, which should allow for the inevitable "awwwww, baby chicks!" issue next year. *lol*

Welcome Back! I'm in Westmont :) I have 3-year old girls and 4 chicks that are less than a week old. Only allowed 6 too but I figure at least one of these chicks is a roo that I can't keep.

This was just posted on FB and wanted to pass along.

Round Lake IL Area - Chicago Land Urban Chicken Keepers (CLUCK)
8 mins ·
Relevant to the previous post, we're passing on some information from Lauren Draper Fleming:
"ATTENTION ALL CHICKEN OWNERS: I found three dead birds on my property within 2 days (a starling, a sparrow, and a robin). After several calls trying to get them tested for Avian Bird Flu I talked to Tim White, US Dept of Agriculture, in Springfield, 217-241-5732. He was very helpful and informative.
He told me the following: Tim White said to keep the dead birds in a ziplock in my f...reezer. They are not picking them up yet. If there are 5 dead birds in my area to pick up within a week or two they will pick them up. He thanked me for "being on top of things" and told me to spread the word --- IF YOU FIND A DEAD BIRD (any kind) CALL HIM.
They are watching this closely due to the quick spread of Avian Bird Flu. Tim White also said ABF (Avian Bird Flu) is usually not found in Robins, sparrows, and the like. They have found it in waterfowl, hawks, etc. so far. But, in the last few weeks they are getting reports of Robins, Sparrows, etc coming up positive. They think it is spread by droppings AND airborne particles ("on the wind"). If anyone finds 5 or more dead birds in an area the Dept of Agriculture will pick up those birds immediately."

Hi everyone!  Just poking my nose back in here.  :)  I've avoided the site for a long while, it being far too tempting to look through... but we FINALLY have agreement from my husband!  If we can get things straightened out here (planning coop site, for one major example) we'll be getting chicks soon.  

Anyways, just a quick hello, and trying to get back into the swing of research.  We're up in the NW suburbs, and local regs allow 6 hens and 0 roosters.  *sigh*  I'm hoping to build for 6, plan on 4 for this year, which should allow for the inevitable "awwwww, baby chicks!" issue next year. *lol*

I am in the northwest burbs too. 6 hens, no roo's rule also. But the city said they would only come out to inspect if someone made complaints, so now I'm wondering if i can sneak a seventh it eighth hen in.tee-hee

Ok, this is crazy! I rehomed my CCL rooster on March 13th and I have been cracking fertilized egg all this week. So, throwing some in the bator!

Back
Top Bottom