Illinois...

Well as I said supposed to . I suspect not all are that way . There are a lot of new colors being added to the breed so maybe some other genes got in the breed that way . It interests me that there are 2 genes for feather legs . I have seen pictures of clean leg crosses . Thought of trying a cross just to see how they turn out .
I wasn't questioning the genetics, I was questioning the purity of my Brahmas:)

I wasn't questioning the genetics, I was questioning the purity of my Brahmas:)
Well in chickens we go by what we see and no pedigree . I have done a lot of crosses and 3/4 pure can often pass as pure .Certainly 7/8 is passable . So yes at some point something was probably crossed in . Could of been a long time ago .

They always seem to go broody when the hatch is done already.
he.gif
Time for another hatch!

P.S. My Blue is growing like a monster or at least looks like one because it is so fluffy while its brother/sister Splash is almost half the size, actually most other chicks are half the size. I think my hopes of it being a pullet are dying with this rapid growth. I guess Blue x Splash can give me all Blue chicks, too bad they are siblings though!
NO MORE HATCHES at least for this year. I am done. Really considering putting some chicks under my broody maybe this weekend if she continues. She is still sitting in the nest, so I will have to move her to a better spot. Unfortunately I am down to 2 Orp project eggs. They are due to hatch tomorrow.

Oh, I am so jealous you have a splash! But like you said, at least you have a pullet. Do you want to swap, a blue for a splash pullet? I should make sure I have a pullet first!

My chicks came today! All blues and blacks seem happy and healthy. I was calling the post office at 730am to see if they were there. Then had to talk them into letting me come and pick them up before they opened. Of which, they did. Now I am officially over run with chicks!

I told @Faraday40 we could be the new spot to get Orpingtons. LOL She will have Lavs, you will have Jubilees, Mottles, blues, chocolates, cuckoos and hopefully I will have the laced blue projects to work on with the blues and my chocolates and blacks. I need to get a Laced Orp and that might be my big and only purchase next year. Hopefully the price will come down a bit by then, but I doubt it.

NO MORE HATCHES at least for this year. I am done. Really considering putting some chicks under my broody maybe this weekend if she continues. She is still sitting in the nest, so I will have to move her to a better spot. Unfortunately I am down to 2 Orp project eggs. They are due to hatch tomorrow.

Oh, I am so jealous you have a splash! But like you said, at least you have a pullet. Do you want to swap, a blue for a splash pullet? I should make sure I have a pullet first!

My chicks came today! All blues and blacks seem happy and healthy. I was calling the post office at 730am to see if they were there. Then had to talk them into letting me come and pick them up before they opened. Of which, they did. Now I am officially over run with chicks!

I told @Faraday40 we could be the new spot to get Orpingtons. LOL She will have Lavs, you will have Jubilees, Mottles, blues, chocolates, cuckoos and hopefully I will have the laced blue projects to work on with the blues and my chocolates and blacks. I need to get a Laced Orp and that might be my big and only purchase next year. Hopefully the price will come down a bit by then, but I doubt it.
Oh, I don't know if the splash is a pullet for sure, just guessing by their huge size difference. I am happy you got your blues and blacks. Pic please!

Meanwhile, here is the story of my blind chick. I had requested it to be adopted on CCE forum. Someone gave me a link to "Free from Harm" and they arranged for an adoption. A gentleman came to take some pics of the chick (which he promptly posted on facebook with a story without telling me he will do so) but along with that came a huge dose about animal cruelty and how backyard chickens are almost as bad as the hatchery chickens and finally this email " In the future, please adopt or ask us for adoption opportunities. It makes more sense than bring more lives into this world we can't care for."

While I do like the story posted on facebook without my permission. It was still without my permission. Also, I do understand their perspective and maybe its their way of convincing people by making them feel guilty. And while I do agree that as BYC owners, we need to be more responsible but we are not the bad guys here. "Eating eggs is supposed to be wrong because it promotes breeding chicken for egg production" is a highly extreme point of view.

Basically, I am feeling guilty as hell and not sure where to go from here. Although the comparison is far-fetched but when we are about to have our first child, we were advised there is a 66% chance, he will have Down's syndrome and we had to make a choice whether we want to keep the baby or not and we will regret it if the baby had Down's syndrome. We decided to keep him and he is a healthy 16 year old now. However, the last 4 months of expecting him was a combination of anxiousness, fear and guilt. What if we are not able to take care of the baby, etc. When he was born, the first thing I did was not look at his face, instead I opened his palm to see if he had more than one crease or not.

Just very conflicted inside! I am the devil today for sure.

Here is the short facebook pictorial story by the way:

https://www.facebook.com/robert.grillo.7?fref=ts

Last edited:
Basically, I am feeling guilty as hell and not sure where to go from here. Although the comparison is far-fetched but when we are about to have our first child, we were advised there is a 66% chance, he will have Down's syndrome and we had to make a choice whether we want to keep the baby or not and we will regret it if the baby had Down's syndrome. We decided to keep him and he is a healthy 16 year old now. However, the last 4 months of expecting him was a combination of anxiousness, fear and guilt. What if we are not able to take care of the baby, etc. When he was born, the first thing I did was not look at his face, instead I opened his palm to see if he had more than one crease or not.
I am GLAD that you made the RIGHT CHOICE. When we were having our first child, we went to lamas and prenatal classes. I, to this day remember a thing, a particular nurse told our group.
God will not burden you with more than you can handle.. HIS PLAN is always positive.. Selective breeding of humans is not...
I don't have answer to your blind chick, I know you want to do the BEST THING POSSIBLE..

Looks like @jerryse
 is offline so I will answer you.  Green is not a proper term for the color of chicken legs.  The proper term is willow, as Jerry said slate plus yellow equals willow. The description of willow according to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection glossary is "The dusky yellowish green color found on shanks, feet and toes of some breeds and varieties of fowl." 
Reading this, I think I sound snobbish but I don't mean to, I just want you to know why the question was answered the way it was.

Thank you, I'm learning something new about chickens every day!!!
1f600.png

Quote:
Oh this is exciting! Maybe we could do a swap? I need some time with the new chicks to figure out what they are though.

Oh, I don't know if the splash is a pullet for sure, just guessing by their huge size difference. I am happy you got your blues and blacks. Pic please!

Meanwhile, here is the story of my blind chick. I had requested it to be adopted on CCE forum. Someone gave me a link to "Free from Harm" and they arranged for an adoption. A gentleman came to take some pics of the chick (which he promptly posted on facebook with a story without telling me he will do so) but along with that came a huge dose about animal cruelty and how backyard chickens are almost as bad as the hatchery chickens and finally this email " In the future, please adopt or ask us for adoption opportunities. It makes more sense than bring more lives into this world we can't care for."

While I do like the story posted on facebook without my permission. It was still without my permission. Also, I do understand their perspective and maybe its their way of convincing people by making them feel guilty. And while I do agree that as BYC owners, we need to be more responsible but we are not the bad guys here. "Eating eggs is supposed to be wrong because it promotes breeding chicken for egg production" is a highly extreme point of view.

Just very conflicted inside! I am the devil today for sure.

Here is the short facebook pictorial story by the way:

https://www.facebook.com/robert.grillo.7?fref=ts

I am so sorry you were made to feel like this. Although I do agree with some parts of the article, ( like how smart they are, and relationships created) there does seem to be an extremist opinion like you said. So, there are all kinds of people in this world. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, decisions and actions and so are you. You could have culled the chick from the beginning, but you didn't cause you care about that little life. You are trying to find a safe home for the chick, this does not make you a bad person. If you decided to keep it until butchering time, it does not make you a bad person. Everyone is different, don't let their ideas or opinions, make you doubt your own. I think of it this way, I love the diversity of people, especially the ones that make me laugh! Don't feel guilty.

Last edited:
I am so sorry you were made to feel like this. Although I do agree with some parts of the article, ( like how smart they are, and relationships created) there does seem to be an extremist opinion like you said. So, there are all kinds of people in this world. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, decisions and actions and so are you. You could have culled the chick from the beginning, but you didn't cause you care about that little life. You are trying to find a safe home for the chick, this does not make you a bad person. If you decided to keep it until butchering time, it does not make you a bad person. Everyone is different, don't let their ideas or opinions, make you doubt your own. I think of it this way, I love the diversity of people, especially the ones that make me laugh! Don't feel guilty.
Thanks for the kind words. I am going to try to keep my mind off it.

Back
Top Bottom