Illinois...

Mandy, looking for friends in the Pekin area. Were buying a house there in september.....cant wait to get Chickens!!!!
I live in Chicago, but just wanted to say Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Had a surprise today when one pullet prediction started looking kind of male. For anyone with Marans experience, please let me know if my predictions are correct.

This is a fav, but I've been thinking a male for a while. (almost 5 wks old now) I want to be sure of gender before we donate the males. "Blue" is very sweet, so I don't want to accidentally give away a great female.

Here is Blue's male sibling, Mr Obvious, to compare. I knew this was a male at less than a week old when its comb popped.
Now the comb is bright red!

I would still say Cockerel, sorry.

Last edited:
It was time to let littles out to play yesterday and they loved it. They looked so bored in their coral. Mingling with the older girls went well also (thank goodness). I am in love with my laced bantam cochins, they are so sweet. My silver laced Orp is taking a long time on feathering out, but slowly getting there and my blues are cuties. My dark blue cockerel is very serious. Looks like he will be a good boy for the girls. I watched them for a while yesterday, he just watches everyone and everything.

Last edited:
It was time to let littles out to play yesterday and they loved it. They looked so bored in their coral. Mingling with the older girls went well also (thank goodness). I am in love with my laced bantam cochins, they are so sweet. My silver laced Orp is taking a long time on feathering out, but slowly getting there and my blues are cuties. My dark blue cockerel is very serious. Looks like he will be a good boy for the girls. I watched them for a while yesterday, he just watches everyone and everything.

Those Cochins are looking gorgeous indeed.

We woke up this morning to find that 3 of our 4 hens were no longer with us... The culprit I suspect was the Raccoons. We would like to replace two ameraucana and one light brahma. Need to replace quickly so our last Ameraucana isn't left by herself for too long. Will come and pick up ASAP if you have any available. Only pullets please as we can not keep cockerels.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom