Illinois...

Thanks for the welcome! So glad to see that there are others in the area. We are in the process of building a gypsy style coop. (Okay, mostly my partner builds it...and I help.) I am getting a rhode island red, a silver spangled hamburg, an easter egger, and a buckeye. I'd love to know if there are any hatcheries nearby. Thanks, gargoyle, for the info on the show. We may go (just to look). Are you going?
We got our chicks from several local sources; One came from Trellis feed on Kirk Road, two came from Belmont feed in the city and two came from that feed store on the southwest side of the city (whose name escapes me at the moment). The last two followed us home from the Belvedere poultry show (in September).

Any IL people have interest in a lamb, or part of a lamb to eat for Easter? PM for details, price, or location...

Hello. I'm new to the site. I live 30 min south of Decatur. I'm considering raising a few chickens in town. I have a couple of questions:
1. Best chicken types for IL?
2. Best to start with chicks or pullets?
3. With a tractor do I need to do bedding under the roost?

Thanks. I look forward to learning more and possibly beginning this new "hobby."

welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread!

1. Most chickens will do well in Illinois. Do you want them to provide lots eggs or more as pets?
2. Chicks are fun but the wait for eggs is long, 5 or more months. If you're wanting eggs, getting pullets that are closer to POL (point of lay) would be a better choice. If you want friendly pets, getting chicks and handling them will ensure they are people friendly. If you can find POL pullets from someone who spends time handling their flock, you would have the best of both worlds.
3. If your tractor has an enclosed roost area for nighttime, it will be easier to clean with a "poop board". Do a search here on BYC for examples.

Check out these forums for TONS of information on ideas for the tractor :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

Any locals in my area (Peoria-Metamora) that have had any luck with helping chicks that have hatched with leg or feet issues? I have two now two day old chicks with issues, and I have not had luck fixing them. I would hate to cull them, so if anyone has any experience and would like them, they are yours. They are both Barred Plymouth Rocks...

Any locals in my area (Peoria-Metamora) that have had any luck with helping chicks that have hatched with leg or feet issues? I have two now two day old chicks with issues, and I have not had luck fixing them. I would hate to cull them, so if anyone has any experience and would like them, they are yours. They are both Barred Plymouth Rocks...
incubator problems.

incubator problems.

This was my first ever try with incubator, and I know a few of the mistakes that I made during the process...could you elaborate for me? Is there something specific that you feel/know causes this? I have my theories, but am curious to know your thoughts. I am going to do round 2 in the incubator, and would love to not duplicate this issue if possible.

i belive, not turning the eggs property causes crooked toes. the other problem with legs would probably be the flooring that they are on after hatching-- ie: splayed legs.

Back
Top Bottom