Illinois...

Thanks, kfacres :) I believe it was a combo of egg placement (they probably should not have been set) as they were somewhat a pullet size still, and the fact that during one of the candlings where I was doing it with my nieces...they were placed back in upside down. I'm not sure if it was me or them, but I was trying to be a great aunt and educate them on chickens/incubation process. I had an automatic egg turner...and the only two that had this problem were the two small eggs. I don't think it was the flooring, as they started out on the wire mesh and were moved to the brooder with the non-slip mat. They were born weak, one I assisted, and should have just let die in the shell. The other 5 that hatched were healthy and strong. (and I did read the hatching info on here, which was great to have!)

Howdy from the Jacksonville/Murrayville area! I posted this in another thread on BYC, it seems fitting that I post this for my fellow Illini in our thread (Forgot about this section hehe) :

If you are in Central/West IL and looking for certified organic feed, I have a phone number for you! I buy all my farm animal feed from this guy and Ive had extraordinary results. My pigs, goats, turkeys, broilers, layers, and ducks absolutely love love love the feed. Every bag has the ingredients listed and the % of each in the mixture.

Josh McMillan - Feed Mill Manager
2300 E. 890 Rd.
Fairbury, IL 61739 (Pretty close to Bloomington/Normal.)
(815)383-8815
[email protected]

^^ That should be his correct info.

Ive been super happy with the feed quality (The best $ can buy) and with Josh. I do believe there are other pickup spots all over the Midwest and they are worth checking into if you arent farming in IL.

Heres the webby link: http://www.midwestorganic.com/index.html

Ive been so happy with everything I thought Id share this awesome business with fellow farmers / BYC members, you and your animals wont regret it! ;)

The Rahn Ranch animals couldn't be happier!

I am in the Assumption area of Illinois, just south of Decatur. I am new to the chicken growing/egg producing business. I have 6 hens and would like to find more. If anyone has any to re-home or are reasonable priced in my area please message me. Thank you.

Hi all!

We're in Springfield proper and just got our 4 girlies a week ago. DH is building the coop and we got quotes for a privacy fence - hens are legal, but we live by 3 different schools so the less attention, the better.

I found out from a friend this morning that there's a guy with a good sized flock about 2 blocks away! I'm hoping to meet up soon. We know a bunch of chicken keepers, but everyone else is outside of town.

They're such sweet little birds. They're in the living room right now. It is easy to stop to check on one little thing and end up staring for 20 minutes. Although I'm excited for them to head outside, I'll be a little sad, too. Of course, right now there's something like 7" of snow and more coming down... so it'll be a few more weeks.

Hi jennyp0208!
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread! I love your avatar pic! My granddaughter is in love with all the feathered friends here. It won't be long now and we'll have some nice weather for the chickens, and us, to be outside.

Hi jennyp0208!
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread! I love your avatar pic! My granddaughter is in love with all the feathered friends here. It won't be long now and we'll have some nice weather for the chickens, and us, to be outside.

Thanks! My daughter will be 2 soon - she's mad in love with the chickens :)

Back
Top Bottom