Illinois...

Mine says, "Nature is too messy." He's a true computer geek & prefers indoor activities. Opposites attract! Thankfully, he's very tolerant of all my many experiments & hobbies. I'm a sci teacher & often have dozens of little projects going on. Several are living - like when I bred Chinese Praying Mantises, raised Monarch butterflies, tadpoles, mealworms, crickets, (to feed all my reptiles in the lab), etc.

If we are talking husbands here, I think the only reason mine is putting up with the chickens, is because the dog loves them. At my house, the dog came first, she was 5 years old. She is a border collie/beagle? mix and is my husbands baby. He was worried about her having to share the yard with the chickens at the beginning, but the dog is so good with the chickens and the babies and has so much fun with them, he is tolerating them so much more these days. I have also caught him petting and talking to Freida, my very whiney barred rock. She'll complain to anyone that will listen, hahaha. And he also helped me the other day, by holding her still while I trimmed the poop off her butt! He was reassuring her the whole time. Such a good guy right? But I just told him Papa Brooder has black English Orp he is selling and he says if I get another chicken, he gets a new guitar. So not fair, his guitars cost much more than a couple of chickens!

I'm sorry ladies, but I'm feeling a little left out. Its funny how our little hobby can bring such a wide array of people together. I'm a single guy in my mid 20's, so its interesting hearing how you had to convince your husbands to put up with chickens. For me, the opposite is true. I'm in the nw suburbs, so people around here aren't really accustomed to livestock. At least not having to deal with them on a daily basis. I grew up Literally right next door to the property I own now. Both parcels are 5 acres, which in Lake County is the threshold for being AG exempt. I never had chickens growing up. Every once in a while we'd have duck, my dad has a half acre pond, so it was neat having them before they would fly away. But I really never thought I'd own chickens. It started out with turkeys for me. As a big hunter, I had this grandiose idea of having a few and releasing them to are area. Problem, once you feed them. They don't really want to leave. They ended up leaving on their own after an owl started picking a few out of the tree they used to roost in. A few came back, only 1 remains. But now I've grown my flock of chickens exponentially. And I enjoy having multiple different breeds. Come family reunion time, its always fun for the little kids to play with them. The kids love petting them and feeding them, yet their parents wont.

I'm curious, since we vary here so much, how did you all get started with chickens? One of my main reasons was to try and get a property tax break. The year before I bought the place taxes were nearly 12,000. The AG Exemption hasn't kicked in yet, but they're less than half that now.

And Catherine, life is far to short to not do something you enjoy doing. Granted, your family should definitely weigh on that decision. But, I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. Do you enjoy having chickens? And that includes feeding them, giving them water, cleaning up after them, and taking care of any illness or injury. And are you capable of, or have someone capable and willing to keep a healthy and happy flock? Its obvious you enjoy them. If they make you happy, and you're able to make the birds happy...I think you've found your answer. And your argument to the rest of your family.

If we are talking husbands here, I think the only reason mine is putting up with the chickens, is because the dog loves them. At my house, the dog came first, she was 5 years old. She is a border collie/beagle? mix and is my husbands baby. He was worried about her having to share the yard with the chickens at the beginning, but the dog is so good with the chickens and the babies and has so much fun with them, he is tolerating them so much more these days. I have also caught him petting and talking to Freida, my very whiney barred rock. She'll complain to anyone that will listen, hahaha. And he also helped me the other day, by holding her still while I trimmed the poop off her butt! He was reassuring her the whole time. Such a good guy right? But I just told him Papa Brooder has black English Orp he is selling and he says if I get another chicken, he gets a new guitar. So not fair, his guitars cost much more than a couple of chickens!
I think DH secretly likes the hens, b/c I've also heard him telling people all about our little "farm." It's a 1/2 acre in the suburbs. I do all the gardening, a handyman built our coop, & we hire a boy to mow the lawn.
lau.gif

Yet, DH has pride in all my reuses, recycling, composting, & gardening projects. (Not so much with my "creepy crawly" critters, though.) He talks all about the superior quality of our backyard eggs and how well our garden grows. I know it's not just me b/c our son at age 3 spit out a bite he had taken from a hard-boiled egg at a restaurant. He then asked me if I could order him a "real egg."

The chickens are a lot of work, but mainly because I'm always tinkering with things or inventing new gadgets. We could literally leave for several days & all the flock's needs would be met, but I choose to go out there 3 or more times per day. To me they are beloved pets. All our chickens come when called, go to their coop on command, & can be held with ease. Many know their individual names. I trained my Lavender Orpington (Cuddles) to peck at a red chip. Even when I mix up all the different colors, she will seek out & peck only the red one. Then I wrote YES on the red chip & many other answers on the other colors. Whenever I ask Cuddles a question- like: Should DD clean her room? - Cuddles always agrees with me!

Oh, DD plans to hatch more Orpingtons this year. They'll be about 50% English Orp. Some will be lavender & some will look black (but technically be Black/Lav Split). I'll share pics here before they go to Craigslist.....Just in case you need more temptation!

I'm sorry ladies, but I'm feeling a little left out. Its funny how our little hobby can bring such a wide array of people together. I'm a single guy in my mid 20's, so its interesting hearing how you had to convince your husbands to put up with chickens. For me, the opposite is true. I'm in the nw suburbs, so people around here aren't really accustomed to livestock. At least not having to deal with them on a daily basis. I grew up Literally right next door to the property I own now. Both parcels are 5 acres, which in Lake County is the threshold for being AG exempt. I never had chickens growing up. Every once in a while we'd have duck, my dad has a half acre pond, so it was neat having them before they would fly away. But I really never thought I'd own chickens. It started out with turkeys for me. As a big hunter, I had this grandiose idea of having a few and releasing them to are area. Problem, once you feed them. They don't really want to leave. They ended up leaving on their own after an owl started picking a few out of the tree they used to roost in. A few came back, only 1 remains. But now I've grown my flock of chickens exponentially. And I enjoy having multiple different breeds. Come family reunion time, its always fun for the little kids to play with them. The kids love petting them and feeding them, yet their parents wont.

I'm curious, since we vary here so much, how did you all get started with chickens? One of my main reasons was to try and get a property tax break. The year before I bought the place taxes were nearly 12,000. The AG Exemption hasn't kicked in yet, but they're less than half that now.
I dream of living on 3-5 acres someday (with a huge garden, various poultry & goats), but it's doubtful that will ever happen. In the meantime, I can enjoy a good-sized garden, fruit trees, & some chickens. I'm already living most of my dream while still having all of the suburban conveniences within walking distance of our home. Although I like to tease DH, I really can't complain. Our neighbors are another reason why we have chickens. Everyone was supportive (& many donated supplies) when building the coop. In return, we're pretty generous with the eggs & garden veggies.

The short answer of how we got started with chickens: a science experiment!

The long answer:
For years I hatched chicks as part of an embryology unit for my students. About 2 years ago someone donated a rainbow assortment of eggs for me to use in a summer science camp. After always hatching skittish white leghorns, I was amazed at how docile the Easter eggers were. I found myself willing to put up with the dust-making fluffballs for more than the usual 2-3 weeks. Then I learned that our town made a chicken ordinance, so I scrambled to design a coop/run. My DD takes after her mom when it comes to nature, so I ended up spreading my incubation addiction to her. She joined 4H & won Best in Show for her project last year. (She compared hatch rates or shipped vs backyard eggs, with multiple trials & a whole binder of info documenting candling observations, air cell development, distance shipped, breeds, etc.) This year she's playing with broody hens for her project - but notice it still involves hatching! In fact, she just did a candling tonight. We do not have a broody yet, but she talked her father into an incubator & fertility test. I laugh b/c I know it's really just chick withdrawal. The good/bad is that we cannot keep the chicks. Last year we ended up breaking even by selling off her hatch results on Craigslist.

That's funny. I hate mowing. Yet my mom who lives in a town home loves it. So she mows my lawn. Half of my property is woods so its not too much. Still had to pony up and buy her a zero turn mower. Almost makes me want to do it myself.

My uneducated palate can't really tell the difference between store bought, farm fresh, or turkey eggs. I will tell you turkey eggs are a chore to crack!

I give eggs to the guys that work for my dads company. The one guy said his wife made eggs one Sunday and they didn't tell their kids. All three mentioned something about how good they were. And they didn't know they weren't store bought. Funny how kids can tell and I can't.

And Catherine, life is far to short to not do something you enjoy doing. Granted, your family should definitely weigh on that decision. But, I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. Do you enjoy having chickens? And that includes feeding them, giving them water, cleaning up after them, and taking care of any illness or injury. And are you capable of, or have someone capable and willing to keep a healthy and happy flock? Its obvious you enjoy them. If they make you happy, and you're able to make the birds happy...I think you've found your answer. And your argument to the rest of your family.

Well, I started keeping chickens so I knew what my family was eating. I have my garden that I have grown without pesticides and store bought fertilizers, so I thought why not chickens? My husband thought I was joking, until I came home one day with 4 chicks from the feed store. I never knew how much I would enjoy them. Now, its kind of addicting, but I have to remember that I live in the city with a small city lot. All of my chicks have been raised by hand and enjoy spending time with me. I was also surprised to find out that there are a handful of people in 5 mile radius that also have chickens. Livestock is not very common around here either. I am grateful that I am able to have them, but hope to be on a farm some day in the near future. My grandson, is really enjoying my addictions also. He loves to help out with the chickens and with gardening. He eats the tomatoes off the vine, and eats the green peppers while they are still on the plant (Lol). I am enjoying every minute of it! I used to say my gardening was for my sanity, but now I have to say, gardening and chickens are good for my soul!

I think DH secretly likes the hens, b/c I've also heard him telling people all about our little "farm." It's a 1/2 acre in the suburbs. I do all the gardening, a handyman built our coop, & we hire a boy to mow the lawn.
lau.gif

Yet, DH has pride in all my reuses, recycling, composting, & gardening projects. (Not so much with my "creepy crawly" critters, though.) He talks all about the superior quality of our backyard eggs and how well our garden grows. I know it's not just me b/c our son at age 3 spit out a bite he had taken from a hard-boiled egg at a restaurant. He then asked me if I could order him a "real egg."

The chickens are a lot of work, but mainly because I'm always tinkering with things or inventing new gadgets. We could literally leave for several days & all the flock's needs would be met, but I choose to go out there 3 or more times per day. To me they are beloved pets. All our chickens come when called, go to their coop on command, & can be held with ease. Many know their individual names. I trained my Lavender Orpington (Cuddles) to peck at a red chip. Even when I mix up all the different colors, she will seek out & peck only the red one. Then I wrote YES on the red chip & many other answers on the other colors. Whenever I ask Cuddles a question- like: Should DD clean her room? - Cuddles always agrees with me!

Oh, DD plans to hatch more Orpingtons this year. They'll be about 50% English Orp. Some will be lavender & some will look black (but technically be Black/Lav Split). I'll share pics here before they go to Craigslist.....Just in case you need more temptation!
I have seen the chicken video of how chickens can be trained to select certain colors. I showed that to my husband and said look how smart they are, that's why I spend so much time with them, haha. Your children must love that, especially when cuddles agrees with your that she should clean her room. I am familiar with that battle.

And please do post some pics before they go to Craigslist. I will see if I can control my self until then. I also have to remember that I want to hatch out to Olive eggers from my flock, that alone is helping control my addiction.

And all I have to say is OMG, this rooster doesn't stop CROWING! I don't know if he will make it here through spring. But he sure is handsome and he keeps bringing the young hens out by the out door coop because that's where the older hens still like to lay their eggs. So hopefully the blue eggs will be making an appearance soon. Have your CCL began laying yet?

ChicagoClucker
Yes my CCLs are finally laying again. They started in mid Sept only to stop in mid Nov. I put 1-2 CCL eggs in the incubator. Can't tell if the second egg is a CCL or from my EE who lays more on the blue side. Curiosity got the better of me & I want to see how they'll turn out. The other mix will be Coronation Sussex/Lavender Orpington. (She's as big as my English Orps, so I'm expecting some big fluffballs) All the others will be purebred Orpingtons, b/c they're easiest to rehome. These eggs are just a fertility & incubator test, & I do not plan on keeping any. I'll be sending eggs to a few preschools next month & I want to make sure the kids get a good hatch. My daughter's project will start as soon as a broody hen volunteers. (We had one in Jan during the polar vortex! I told the hen she was crazy!) We're still waiting.

ChicagoClucker
Yes my CCLs are finally laying again. They started in mid Sept only to stop in mid Nov. I put 1-2 CCL eggs in the incubator. Can't tell if the second egg is a CCL or from my EE who lays more on the blue side. Curiosity got the better of me & I want to see how they'll turn out. The other mix will be Coronation Sussex/Lavender Orpington. (She's as big as my English Orps, so I'm expecting some big fluffballs) All the others will be purebred Orpingtons, b/c they're easiest to rehome. These eggs are just a fertility & incubator test, & I do not plan on keeping any. I'll be sending eggs to a few preschools next month & I want to make sure the kids get a good hatch. My daughter's project will start as soon as a broody hen volunteers. (We had one in Jan during the polar vortex! I told the hen she was crazy!) We're still waiting.

Ok thanks. I think I will be getting an egg sometime soon. I had room in the incubator so threw one of my RIR and one barred rock eggs in to see if they were fertile. Barred was not, but the RIR was. So I am letting that one go, but that means I have to open incubator during maran lockdown. Kicking myself!

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I think I will be getting an egg sometime soon. I had room in the incubator so threw one of my RIR and one barred rock eggs in to see if they were fertile. Barred was not, but the RIR was. So I am letting that one go, but that means I have to open incubator during maran lockdown. Kicking myself!

I think you should not have problems. Look at it this way. In nature, or when you have your hen hatch eggs. The hen is not locked down on the nest in the last 3 days. The temperature varies under her slightly anyways. JMO

Back
Top Bottom