Illinois...

Hi all! I'm in Northern IL where we've just had an ordinance change to allow six hens! I'm hoping to find some local people on here as I'm venturing into this and learning as I go. Especially if anyone in the area has chicks available? :)

Hi all! I'm in Northern IL where we've just had an ordinance change to allow six hens! I'm hoping to find some local people on here as I'm venturing into this and learning as I go. Especially if anyone in the area has chicks available?
smile.png
Welcome to the Illinois thread!
frow.gif
Where in Northern Illinois are you and what breed are you looking for?

In Mchenry County (Crystal Lake). Ultimately, I'd love to find some Welsummer hens. Since I'm only allowed six and want to try a few kinds, I was thinking of finding a couple of orpingtons and/or barred rocks as well. I do have two Cinnamon Queens planned to be coming at the end of April (split a preorder with someone).

In Mchenry County (Crystal Lake). Ultimately, I'd love to find some Welsummer hens. Since I'm only allowed six and want to try a few kinds, I was thinking of finding a couple of orpingtons and/or barred rocks as well. I do have two Cinnamon Queens planned to be coming at the end of April (split a preorder with someone).
We're hatching a bunch of quality Black & Lavender Orpingtons - English bloodlines. (daughter's 4H project) Some adorable mixes (like Easter Eggers) will also be available. DuPage County I will post pics here when they hatch.

So proud of myself. Went to the Feed Store today and showed great restraint. They had Silver Laced Wyandotte, RIR and Easter egger chicks. Walked out with just 3 bags of feed. Keeping in mind of what I hope to be able to get throughout this spring and summer. @Faraday40 please keep me in mind for a couple of lavender orps.

Also all my Roosters that I brought in were sold immediately.
smile.png

Faraday I also forgot to tell you the Feed Store is located at 5408 S. Harlem, Summit
They have a FB page also.

If you have a farm supply store that sells chicks, like Rural King, buy there. RK's headquarters are in Mattoon, one hour south of me (Longview, Champaign County and a stone's throw from Douglas County).
Our Champaign store started selling chicks in JANUARY!!!!!!!
ep.gif
They will sell chicks and order for you, through October. It is necessary to ship 25 chicks at a time bc it keeps the chicks from getting chilled and dying during shipping. When you buy from a farm supply store, or a local, you can buy just 6.
I culled my flock down to 6, although I live on 5 acres of AG2, and my EE hens have been laying 2-6 eggs/day/all winter.

Last edited:
I personally will be avoiding Rural King in the future. I have gotten a total of 7 chicks from them in the past 2 years. 6 out of 7 have turned out to be roosters. One I got this year was supposed to be a leghorn pullet, but is a really a Cornish cockrel. And yes, they were all from the "sexed" female bins. The associates are clueless. I will stick to ordering direct from the hatchery from now on.

I personally will be avoiding Rural King in the future. I have gotten a total of 7 chicks from them in the past 2 years. 6 out of 7 have turned out to be roosters. One I got this year was supposed to be a leghorn pullet, but is a really a Cornish cockrel. And yes, they were all from the "sexed" female bins. The associates are clueless. I will stick to ordering direct from the hatchery from now on.
Avoid gambling. LUCK IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE..........
gig.gif

New to BYC and the IL Thread :) We are in N. IL...Lee County, and hoping to finish our coop this week (as the chickens are out growing their brooder rapidly....lol ) We literally got the chickens before the coop and then the race was on. I'm excited to meet more IL chicken fanatics !!!

New to BYC and the IL Thread :) We are in N. IL...Lee County, and hoping to finish our coop this week (as the chickens are out growing their brooder rapidly....lol ) We literally got the chickens before the coop and then the race was on. I'm excited to meet more IL chicken fanatics !!!

Welcome! What kind of chickens do you have? I also ran the same race, chickens before coop, lol.

Back
Top Bottom