Illinois...

Looking for a few different breeds, chicks or adults. I'm looking for Cochins any color. Silkies of any color. OEGB of any color. And Polish of any color. I'm on the out skirts of Springfield. Let me know. Willing to pay!

Looking for a few different breeds, chicks or adults. I'm looking for Cochins any color. Silkies of any color. OEGB of any color. And Polish of any color. I'm on the out skirts of Springfield. Let me know. Willing to pay!

Do you have a local sale barn ? Silkies and OEGB have been coming through the Kewanee sale barn lately . Have not been to Congerville this year .

I am a foster parent in Central Illinois. This is our family's first year raising backyard chickens. Yesterday my licensing worker informed me that foster children were not allowed to eat eggs from backyard chickens. I looked up the actual policy and this is what it states:

policy 402.10 licensing standard: Food products from home-raised animals shall meet the standards of the Departments of Agriculture and Public Health.

What I am unsure of is; What are the Department of Agriculture & Public Health Standards?

I am a foster parent in Central Illinois. This is our family's first year raising backyard chickens. Yesterday my licensing worker informed me that foster children were not allowed to eat eggs from backyard chickens. I looked up the actual policy and this is what it states:

policy 402.10 licensing standard: Food products from home-raised animals shall meet the standards of the Departments of Agriculture and Public Health.

What I am unsure of is; What are the Department of Agriculture & Public Health Standards?
Oh goodness. This might mean you have to have inspections and raise chickens to a standard. I'm not sure what standards you would meet honestly, but that's pretty lame. So many misconceptions about chickens and the eggs they lay in a free environment.

I am sure they mean to follow the guidelines for "quality" and "cleanliness" that are specified by the Illinois Department of Agriculture when selling eggs off of the farm. To legally sell eggs off of the farm you need to get an egg license and follow their procedures for cleaning and grading eggs. Selling Fresh Eggs from the farm itself are exempt from this as long as the purchase takes place on the farm where the eggs are produced. However, in your case they might want to insure that you are following the same guidelines that are required for selling off of the farm.

I agree it is a pain in the rear end and to me, unnecessary, but I don't want you getting in any trouble either. Here is a link to the Illinois Department of Agriculture Egg Law page which also includes links to other egg selling requirements. Perhaps that will help or give you further contacts.

https://www.agr.state.il.us/illinois-egg-law/

I forgot to do the quote so you would see this, but in my earlier reply I sent this link...

https://www.agr.state.il.us/illinois-egg-law/

• ChicagoClucker
  • Nice meeting you in person today & thanks for your help. Hope you can find a home for those extra chicks.
  • Take good care of them & please post a few pics when they get older.

To my other IL friends, I thank you for all the kind words & prayers during this hard time. I'm trying to keep busy, be with my family, & enjoy some chicken therapy, but the loss of my mom can be overwhelming. I have some English Lavender Orpingtons, English Black Orpingtons (technically blk/lav splits), & Bielefelders. It was a great hatch. I was hoping to start selling these chicks this week, but all the chicken stuff has been put on hold. If you're interested, you can PM me. I'm not online often at this time, but I'll get back to you when I can. I certainly prefer selling chicks on BYC than to strangers on craigslist.

• ChicagoClucker
  • Nice meeting you in person today & thanks for your help. Hope you can find a home for those extra chicks.
  • Take good care of them & please post a few pics when they get older.

To my other IL friends, I thank you for all the kind words & prayers during this hard time. I'm trying to keep busy, be with my family, & enjoy some chicken therapy, but the loss of my mom can be overwhelming. I have some English Lavender Orpingtons, English Black Orpingtons (technically blk/lav splits), & Bielefelders. It was a great hatch. I was hoping to start selling these chicks this week, but all the chicken stuff has been put on hold. If you're interested, you can PM me. I'm not online often at this time, but I'll get back to you when I can. I certainly prefer selling chicks on BYC than to strangers on craigslist.

It was so nice to meet you too. I promise to take excellent care of them and will post pics! I did split them up since there is a size difference. Plus they will have more room to roam. Here are some pics, my 3 littles are enjoying the company.

Back
Top Bottom