Illinois...

I have a 5 year cock, two 5 year old hens and one 4 year old hen. I plan on seeing how old they'll get......fertility or not, eggs or not....I didn't get them intending for them to be pets, but they have kind of grown on me.

I am from the Central area of the Illinois/ Wisconsin border. I just got back into having a small flock of chickens for the eggs and I am looking for a couple more hens, 12 weeks or older, EEs or something funny looking like a Polish or Frizzle or something, or a breed that lays interesting colored eggs. I dont care if they have curled toes or slightly crooked beaks, they are just pets. I also have an EE cockerel for sale or trade. Please message me if you have any helpful info for me to find some hens in my area! Thanks!

I am from the Central area of the Illinois/ Wisconsin border. I just got back into having a small flock of chickens for the eggs and I am looking for a couple more hens, 12 weeks or older, EEs or something funny looking like a Polish or Frizzle or something, or a breed that lays interesting colored eggs. I dont care if they have curled toes or slightly crooked beaks, they are just pets. I also have an EE cockerel for sale or trade. Please message me if you have any helpful info for me to find some hens in my area! Thanks!

I like your avitar ... AND
welcome-byc.gif

Hi
frow.gif
, I don't have any older pullets, but there are quit a few of us with chicks that hatched around Easter if you want to wait a bit.

I only started keeping chicken 2 years ago. I started with 4 chicks, 1 turned out to be a rooster, 1 was stolen in broad daylight, so I was left with 2 from the original flock. My kids and I are attached to both the hens. We celebrated their 2nd birthday on March 26th with my kids.

One of them lost her whole foot to frostbite in January and since then only lays once a week. She was my star hen and laid 361 eggs in her first year. We have a daughter from her who started laying on April 5th and hasn't taken a day off yet, so following in her mom's footsteps.

The 2nd one (a RIR) stopped laying the day I removed her frost-bitten sister from the coop on Jan-16. I don't know if it was the cold or the shock of her sister being removed, but she has not laid since then. She tries every day for an hour or so and then comes out announcing she laid an egg when its just someone else's egg. Poor girl! I am sad I rehomed her daughter a week ago because I don't think she will every lay again, and I will never have her progeny.

Both these girls from the original flock plus a few weeks younger Australorp are our pets and will stay with us whether they lay or not!

Last edited:
Speaking of eggs, does anyone get bullet shaped eggs?
From about 2 months ago Notice the deformities. These were her 2 worst eggs that week

Today (Orpington hen just turned 1 yr old a few days ago.)
Bigger egg but still a bullet shape with a line/ wrinkle. Shell is normal. Hen acts normal.

Is this just going to be her norm or is there something wrong with her??

Speaking of eggs, does anyone get bullet shaped eggs?
From about 2 months ago Notice the deformities. These were her 2 worst eggs that week

Today (Orpington hen just turned 1 yr old a few days ago.)
Bigger egg but still a bullet shape with a line/ wrinkle. Shell is normal. Hen acts normal.

Is this just going to be her norm or is there something wrong with her??

My RIR has been laying the bullet shaped egg from the get go. It has never changed. When I put her egg in the incubator, I didn't think it would make it to hatch, but it did. I know it odd, but I figure lucky her, it has to pass easier!
She also just turned 1 years old this month

Last edited:
I have a hen and her daughter whose eggs are "narrow and long". I think it is the physical size of the oviduct. It is just how they are, no problem hatching them.

I have a hen and her daughter whose eggs are "narrow and long". I think it is the physical size of the oviduct. It is just how they are, no problem hatching them.
I think Hetta must be the progeny of that hen. She frequently lays "torpeggos." Long, skinny, and chalk white. I set a couple in the incubator and they hatched just fine, though! And they also taste great!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom