Illinois...

Last edited:
The one in the above pix looks looks like she has been attending spa treatment.. I remember when I had mine.. she was not as pretty.. LOL I let mine play in the dirt.. One thing of a drawback on this variety of chickens is "" silkies are hawk magnets ""
hit.gif

I still want one to add to my flock. Also a possibility that Faraday40 Will raise the silver seabrite to maturity and allow me to adopt her if hen, and available.. I'm down to 6 hens with a sad possibility it may soon be 5.
hit.gif

The one in the above pix looks looks like she has been attending spa treatment.. I remember when I had mine.. she was not as pretty.. LOL I let mine play in the dirt.. One thing of a drawback on this variety of chickens is "" silkies are hawk magnets ""
hit.gif

I still want one to add to my flock. Also a possibility that Faraday40 Will raise the silver seabrite to maturity and allow me to adopt her if hen, and available.. I'm down to 6 hens with a sad possibility it may soon be 5.
hit.gif

Oh no, is it your Easter Egger? I am so sorry!

I don't like white chickens at all. My leghorn looks dirty all the time! But she is a Awesome layer!

Last edited:

Oh no, is it your Easter Egger? I am so sorry!

I don't like white chickens at all. My leghorn looks dirty all the time! But she is a Awesome layer!
Yes it is the 9 year old. But the reason is last Tuesday,, a dog attack.. She is still alive but only has one eye left and I don't think she will be able to eat and drink sufficiently to sustain. Drinking and eating, but weakly. Not leaving the coop. Only moves no more than a foot or so. She has improved but only so much is possible. I was going to update on her before this all happened that she was laying about 4 eggs per week.
I will be taking the best care of her until she leaves naturally. I can not do it any other way. I'm sure you understand.
sad.png

Yes it is the 9 year old. But the reason is last Tuesday,, a dog attack.. She is still alive but only has one eye left and I don't think she will be able to eat and drink sufficiently to sustain. Drinking and eating, but weakly. Not leaving the coop. Only moves no more than a foot or so. She has improved but only so much is possible. I was going to update on her before this all happened that she was laying about 4 eggs per week.
I will be taking the best care of her until she leaves naturally. I can not do it any other way. I'm sure you understand.
sad.png
Poor girl, I am soooo sorry. I do understand, sending hugs for both you and her.

Yes  it is the 9 year old.    But the reason is   last Tuesday,,   a dog attack..   She is still alive but only has one eye left and I don't think she will be  able to eat and drink sufficiently to sustain.   Drinking and eating, but weakly.   Not leaving the coop.   Only moves no more than a foot or so.  She has improved  but only so much is possible.     I was going to update on her before this all happened that she was laying about 4 eggs per week.
I will be taking the best care of her until she leaves naturally.   I can not do it any other way.  I'm sure you understand. :(

:hugs

Poor girl. So sorry!

WE HAVE CHICKS!

So far, the broody has once again been faster than the incubator. (Eggs from the same source were set at the same time. Only 1 pip inside incubator & most of Cookie's eggs have hatched.) I cannot tell exactly what hatched yet, but one looks like a silkie. Of course the goal is to find out which has the higher hate rate, so I don't want to mess around with her until all the eggs are done hatching. Tomorrow is supposed to be the hatch day.

It's going to be a crazy assortment: Barnevelders, Marans, LF Cochin, Sebrights, Silkies, Easter Eggers, & Olive Egger. (Basically, I bought whatever was available locally.) Meanwhile Princess Lay-a is patiently waiting for her golf balls to hatch. She's even "talking" to them. I'm definitely going to give her a few incubator chicks when they hatch.

Because we have such terrific orps, most of these will be for sale.

Besides all the chicks, we have monarch butterflies, black swallowtail butterflies, tadpoles, & praying mantises hatching.

Then my preschooler discovered the joy of picking & pitting cherries today. My kitchen is covered in so much red it looks like a horrific crime scene.
ep.gif
lau.gif
Oh well. He's certainly having fun. Looks like a cherry pie will be on the menu tonight. (It's not like I have any other work to do today.)

Here is a pic of my broody. She is so determined

I tried taking an egg from under her to candle, and she growled and went to bite me, lol. I am scared of her at this moment. Hoping the feed store will have some new chicks in, in about a week. I am not going near her again.

Last edited:
WE HAVE CHICKS!

So far, the broody has once again been faster than the incubator. (Eggs from the same source were set at the same time. Only 1 pip inside incubator & most of Cookie's eggs have hatched.) I cannot tell exactly what hatched yet, but one looks like a silkie. Of course the goal is to find out which has the higher hate rate, so I don't want to mess around with her until all the eggs are done hatching. Tomorrow is supposed to be the hatch day.

It's going to be a crazy assortment: Barnevelders, Marans, LF Cochin, Sebrights, Silkies, Easter Eggers, & Olive Egger. (Basically, I bought whatever was available locally.) Meanwhile Princess Lay-a is patiently waiting for her golf balls to hatch. She's even "talking" to them. I'm definitely going to give her a few incubator chicks when they hatch.

Because we have such terrific orps, most of these will be for sale.
Congrats on the hatch! That Silkie is yummy!

Back
Top Bottom