Illinois...

Junibutt-
Keep us posted. I'd love to have a source for local hatching eggs next spring!!!! Like I need any more chickens......

Hatching update:
Broody hen= 86% 6 out of 7 eggs hatched & a day early
Incubator = 54% 7 out of 13 eggs hatched. (Worst hatch of 2015!!!) All 13 looked to be the right sze on Day 18, so I'm not sure what happened. Today's Day 22, but usually, the hatching is done within 24 hrs. No pips on remaining eggs, so I'm doubtful. I did everything the same & normally get around 90%. I can't blame the eggs b/c they all came from the same sources.

Shipped Dominique eggs = Princess abandoned them yesterday. Cookie babysat overnight but got off the nest this morning. I set up a different incubator last night & popped them inside this morning. Eggs were still warm. Growth looks good, but no movement when I candled.

Junibutt-
Keep us posted. I'd love to have a source for local hatching eggs next spring!!!! Like I need any more chickens......

Hatching update:
Broody hen= 86% 6 out of 7 eggs hatched & a day early
Incubator = 54% 7 out of 13 eggs hatched. (Worst hatch of 2015!!!) All 13 looked to be the right sze on Day 18, so I'm not sure what happened. Today's Day 22, but usually, the hatching is done within 24 hrs. No pips on remaining eggs, so I'm doubtful. I did everything the same & normally get around 90%. I can't blame the eggs b/c they all came from the same sources.

Shipped Dominique eggs = Princess abandoned them yesterday. Cookie babysat overnight but got off the nest this morning. I set up a different incubator last night & popped them inside this morning. Eggs were still warm. Growth looks good, but no movement when I candled.
Maybe keep them in, I just read someplace that one broody gave up her nest, so the woman put them under another and on day 27, 2 hatched. And could I come by and buy a baby from you for my broody?

Oh and here is a pic I took this morning. I was making the boys breakfast and cracked an egg. How am I getting fertilized eggs still?

Quote:
You don't think you have one sneaking in like houdini in the nitetime.???
lau.gif

No they are all locked up every nite. My legbars weren't even laying when I got rid of him, and they too are giving me fertile eggs. Its a mystery!

I suspect they are not really fertile . Try incubating them to be sure . Myself I do not put much faith in that method of checking fertility .

I suspect they are not really fertile . Try incubating them to be sure . Myself I do not put much faith in that method of checking fertility .

Thanks Jerryse, I had put 3 eggs in the incubator about a month ago and none developed. Broody is sitting on five eggs. Since the seemingly fertile eggs are coming sporadically, I am going to slip a chick under her and pull the eggs. Then I am going to candle them.

Back
Top Bottom