Illinois...

It's small. We have 4 Easter Eggers. We had an unknown white chicken, (she was supposed to be an Easter Egger too) but the tray part of the coop fell down and it landed on her head and she died.

Poor unknown white chicken, she could actually say "The sky is falling!"

Sounds like you have a nice group! Did you just begin keeping chickens or has it been a while?

I heard peeping under Cookie!! I think she has 2 chicks out of the shell. (Eggs were set on Labor Day, so as usual, she's early.)

Yay for Cookie!
jumpy.gif
She must run a little HOT! LOL

I know @Junibutt was looking for a Lav Roo, perhaps Cookie worked her magic and will hatch one for him. She is amazing!

we just got chickens this spring.

So are you loving it? I started about a year and a half ago and am so addicted. Never thought I would enjoy it so much. I am learning something new all the time and this site and people on this thread have helped me out numerous times. Just fair warning, I started with 3 chickens, now I am up to 20. I have a serious problem
he.gif

So are you loving it? I started about a year and a half ago and am so addicted. Never thought I would enjoy it so much. I am learning something new all the time and this site and people on this thread have helped me out numerous times. Just fair warning, I started with 3 chickens, now I am up to 20. I have a serious problem
he.gif
You're not alone!
I started with 4 chicks, but thought 3 were male. Got 4 more (in hopes that 1-2 would be female) to keep her warm in the winter. Turns out, all 8 were female! That was my 1st year! Then DD got into incubation as part of 4H, & I started a "wish list" of breeds we wanted...... Need I say more.

It's only been 3 years but we've had over 30 at times when hatches come along.
D.gif
jumpy.gif
Of course when winter comes, we must have the number down.

You're not alone!
I started with 4 chicks, but thought 3 were male. Got 4 more (in hopes that 1-2 would be female) to keep her warm in the winter. Turns out, all 8 were female! That was my 1st year! Then DD got into incubation as part of 4H, & I started a "wish list" of breeds we wanted...... Need I say more.

It's only been 3 years but we've had over 30 at times when hatches come along.
D.gif
jumpy.gif
Of course when winter comes, we must have the number down.

Well at least I'm in with some good company.
highfive.gif
I am so grateful to have met you and Junibutt on this thread. I don't feel so alone in my addiction, lol.

I should start my own Blog called, "Chicken Addiction Confessions".

I candled my Millie eggs again last week, the air cells were blown from shipping, so not 1 viable egg. Feeling kind of down, so I went upstairs and got on the computer. Went to my usual pages, BYC and FB, checked my email, then figured I would just check ebay and see if anything exciting was up for auction, this would make me feel better, after losing the Millie eggs. Big Mistake! Ebay is like my own personal Dealer! I filled the void of the Millie's with some Blue Isbar eggs. Only day 3, but I can see some developing. Hopefully, I will now have a green egg layer and I am feeling that thrill again, just like it was the first time. I lost control once again. Had to head off the delivery man, so the husband wouldn't see the new eggs being delivered. When will I stop doing this to myself?

Signed,
Anonymous

Last edited:
I candled my Millie eggs again last week, the air cells were blown from shipping, so not 1 viable egg.

A detached air cell does not necessary mean it's blown and won't hatch... I just finished hatching my Welsummer and Black Copper Marans eggs that were shipped eggs, all 14 eggs arrived with detached air cells, I hoped for the best and expected the worst... Candling at about day 7 I tossed 7 of the eggs for no development, had one early quitter and one late quitter and 5 made it all the way... Certainly not a great hatch rate but at least it wasn't a total bust...

On a totally random topic, does anyone know of any Emu breeders in Illinois or Wisconsin (or possibly Indiana) that sell fertile eggs for hatching? Tried some Google searches and came up pretty empty handed in this area...

I'm tossing up the idea of picking some Emu up and trying to hatch them this year or next, but since they lay from about November to April I'm not really liking the idea of getting them shipped during the winter months and adding the freezing variable to my shipping concerns...

Back
Top Bottom