Illinois...

IF HMMMMMMMM there was such a thing as reincarnation, then I would want to return as a chicken at Chicagocluckers coop. WAIT WAIT WAIT....... is it probable that I would be a ROOSTER????...... Let me think about that........... I THINK I'LL PASS
lau.gif

LOL

Since we're on the topic of feeding rocks.....  Is there a way to help a hen eat more calcium?  My son's 1st hen has always been a giant egg producer. (both size & number)  Her eggshells always seem thin when compared to the others.

You probably just have a genetically bad egg maker...

You could try 'force feeding' some extra calcium in powder form by sprinkling it on their food, but if the bird has bad genetics it probably won't help...

The birds, if given free choice oyster shells will regulate their calcium intake and storage reserves very well and won't consume excess calcium as it's harmful to them... And the chickens body is so good at making eggs that their body breaks down the oyster shell and starts using that calcium to form an egg shell within minutes of eating the oyster shell, there is no long delay they can pretty much eat calcium on demand, but they also have calcium reserves in their bones as a backup...

@MeepBeep Thank you so much, for the info on the granite grit. I have been researching and reading and am not finished yet, but I feel I now know a bit more about gizzards and their function. I clearly see how important it is and even though I am giving them the oyster shell, which I have read that it does dissolve quickly like you said and is great for calcium intake, but it is not a great source of grit for the gizzard. I thought since they have crushed stones and rocks available in the yard, and the oyster shell in their food, they were good. I was mistaken. So I will be purchasing the bag of granite grit so my chickens can have healthy happy gizzards, which in turn will produce more eggs supposedly if fed the correct size from when they are chicks to laying. Thanks again!

[quote name="ChicagoClucker" url="/t/37/illinois/5260#post_16316677"I thought since they have crushed stones and rocks available in the yard, and the oyster shell in their food, they were good. I was mistaken.[/quote]

I believe if they are truly free range and have a lot of 'ripe' natural land to range over they would be fine without supplemental grit, but most of us don't have that option... Also even if we did granite grit is so reasonably priced it's a no brainer for me to offer it to them as a side even if they had ample available in their ranging area... Basically offering it up is cheap preventative healthcare ;)

Happy New Year!

We had a nice visit with friends & celebrated the NY New Year together. (We do this to avoid the crazies on the road after midnight.) We drove home to walk inside the house as the clock struck 12.
DH & I said “Happy New Year!” as we entered the house.
DD was excited to say, “ Hooray! It’s the REAL New Year!...... Can we go back outside to look at the fireworks?” (Anything to stay up just a little longer. LOL)
DS said, “Yippee! Now I can finally go to bed,” and walked straight to his room. He managed to stay awake but was not planning on staying awake any longer than required. He's rather smart for a 5 yr old.

My New Years Wish

May your eggs be plentiful,
and fertile in spring.

May they hatch chicks,
that can spread their wings.

So we can enjoy
the moments they bring

To all of us in

Happy New Year to all my fellow Chicken Lovers!

Hey all, my husband and I live up on the border of Wisconsin and Iowa, and we are looking to add some Easter eagers to our flock. Does anyone know of anyone around us that is looking to sell some or sell fertile eggs? Thanks!

Worked on a small project today. I have been wanting to try using house gutters as a trough feeder in the chickens run. Finally was able to get it done today. I ended up buying the plastic for is clean up and no rusting. I cut the 8ft gutter in half, Set one higher on the left side of run and one lower or right side. End caps come off, so I can empty at the end of the nite. Can't wait to have them try it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom