Illinois...

Cute Chicken Themed Shirt on Woot Today Only April 1st

http://shirt.woot.com

Thanks for the tip! I've already got five little girls who are sweet little Barred Rocks! I decided something a bit more versatile since our summers can be just as bad as our winters. So I wanted a bird that wouldn't risk overheating in the summer. Also most pea comb breeds are primarily meat chickens, aren't they? I'm more interested in eggs, so a breed that is good at laying eggs is more my type.
jumpy.gif
My DD wanted a blk/wht striped hen like a BR. Our neighbors had Barred Rocks, & theirs were just nasty (pecky) & hated to be handled. I think they got a bad batch, but now I have a slight fear of BRs. I instead bought some Dominique hatching eggs & I must say that I'm very impressed. Our little pullet, Bubbles, lays a cute pink egg w/ white speckles almost daily. The eggs are small compared to our orps, but she free ranges very well. She's lightweight, athletic, curious, very friendly, quick learner, & craves human interaction. (She's our little shadow who must help with everything!) I also like the way the rose comb looks. If we didn't already have too many chickens, I get a few more. I'm still in the mixed flock phase. If I had to keep only one breed it's a toss up between my orps & doms. I love my orps but they do eat a lot for the number of eggs we get. The Dom has the sweet disposition & cold tolerance without the high feed bill. The only down side could be the eggs size. She's still makes a med/lg egg & has been laying for 4 mo.

Every EE we owned has had a unique "personality." Einstein was our beauty queen but dumb as a rock. (She's get trapped in the run because she couldn't find the open door!) Tyrion was fearless, a problem solver, & enjoys hunting squirrels. Mocha was hyper - like on caffeine. (Daughter of Tyrion, so she inherited her mom's dislike for squirrels!) Peppermint couldn't resist hopping the fence for a daily dust bath in my mint patch. She also likes head rubs & will fall asleep in seconds if you massage just right. The colored eggs are also fun. I just don't think I could deal with a whole flock of little personalities. Also, mine stop laying from Nov-mid Feb.

Agree with @ChicagoClucker
 that so far yours looks like a pullet. BTW so far I haven't hatched any chicks like that from my current hatch. I had 3/4 eggs from the same hen but none hatched like this.

When you post the chicks next week, can you kindly post some of other chicks as well?  

Of course all you need do is ask. I think their feathers are looking better perhaps they had a bad looking phase? They're still quite flighty even in the much bigger brooder. Then again the orps from Faraday40 didn't really talk down for us until they were outside just before POL. Idk why as we are gentle and calm and of course handle them kindly.

It seems like the other birds unnerve them so maybe that's part of it?

Of course all you need do is ask. I think their feathers are looking better perhaps they had a bad looking phase? They're still quite flighty even in the much bigger brooder. Then again the orps from Faraday40 didn't really talk down for us until they were outside just before POL. Idk why as we are gentle and calm and of course handle them kindly.

I think the more they are, the less human interaction they want, but eventually they will calm down by POL. Also, I have noticed that brooders that are at eye-level (and open from the side) cause less panic in birds than on the floor but those are a little labor intensive.

Last edited:

I think the more they are, the less human interaction they want, but eventually they will calm down by POL. Also, I have noticed that brooders that are at eye-level (and open from the side) cause less panic in birds than on the floor but those are a little labor intensive.

I brooder the young ones one wire rack shelves with clear bins, low maintenance and they get that human interaction since they are not on the ground...

Last edited:
Big question for those people who use a heating pad in their brooder. Mine worked well so far. Chicks are 2.5 wks old & were moved out to the garage about a week ago. Tonight's going down to 26'F. I'm nervous. Can the heating pad really work in such cold temps? Should I try to figure out a heat lamp for tonight?

When I've checked on them, they're eating & drinking like normal, but I'm darn cold out there! Some are also under or on the heating pad mama. They've been in 40'f temps & even a dip into mid 30s overnight. The below freezing forecast has me guessing. Has anyone ever used this method in these temps????

Big question for those people who use a heating pad in their brooder. Mine worked well so far. Chicks are 2.5 wks old & were moved out to the garage about a week ago. Tonight's going down to 26'F. I'm nervous. Can the heating pad really work in such cold temps? Should I try to figure out a heat lamp for tonight?

When I've checked on them, they're eating & drinking like normal, but I'm darn cold out there! Some are also under or on the heating pad mama. They've been in 40'f temps & even a dip into mid 30s overnight. The below freezing forecast has me guessing. Has anyone ever used this method in these temps????

Consider covering the whole contraption with some blankets. Leave some openings for vent and fresh air.

NOT to play devil's advocate, but I have had failures when my baby chicks weren't warm enough. Why did you move them to the garage in March?
We are in Champaign County and today's 50-55mph winds were just brutal. Tonight it will be 27 degrees and we have a freeze warning until 8AM. You are almost one growing zone North of me.
Bring them back in the house tonight, and keep them inside until maybe middle of next week.
A hen's feathers and body heat completely cover the chicks but they can breathe. We cannot duplicate this.
Just some FYI, from somebody who learns things the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom