Illinois...

Excellent video! However, I think that chick is the double barred choc cuckoo right? Does he have a name now?
Also, of the chocolates is there at least one girl?
Yes. He's the choc cuckoo & always the absolute last to get inside. Very pretty but also kind of dumb. The Spitzhaubens are the leaders of that group. Only the female, Lady Godiva, has a name; the other 2 orps are boys. I'm not sure which boys I'm going to keep. That includes my current roos. I love my current roos (based on temperament) but I may want to add a diff color. For now, I'm waiting to see how they grow up & get along. The chicks are not considered a threat, so they've been sleeping together for over a month. The real test will be when they get older.

Yes. He's the choc cuckoo & always the absolute last to get inside. Very pretty but also kind of dumb. The Spitzhaubens are the leaders of that group. Only the female, Lady Godiva, has a name; the other 2 orps are boys. I'm not sure which boys I'm going to keep. That includes my current roos. I love my current roos (based on temperament) but I may want to add a diff color. For now, I'm waiting to see how they grow up & get along. The chicks are not considered a threat, so they've been sleeping together for over a month. The real test will be when they get older.
Good luck! I noticed that the dumbness level is a little higher in the Orp boys compared to girls. I moved mine outside last week and the Barpington (Legbar x Orp)- Her name is Tequila and the Choc Cuckoo girl (Kim) found the roosting spot on the 2nd day. Whereas the split to mottled boy (Kanye) has to be put to bed like children.

Just wanted to share a pic of my legbar x SL/ orp chick. The broody must have hid this one from me. I ran out and snapped some pics last night to show Junibutt, since he has a Leg orp cross. Love the contrast between the silver and the rich brown and then the little yellow face.

I has babies!!!
wee.gif

This one is a EE roo x Leghorn hen.

Waiting until tomorrow to see the others!
ya.gif

hello all - It's been a long time since I was here but life and circumstance got in the way of raising hens. It's nice to see some people out in my neck of the woods! Blondie 1026 - we're just up the road from you on the west side of Tampico! Ninny - we're about the same distance from QCA - off IL 92

I'm in the process of obtaining a new flock - just missed some nice birds on Craigslist. My DH is not thrilled with having hens again but I've missed it so. I've got a huge coop in the steel sided barn with cement floors and decent windows and a chicken door! And homemade nesting boxes ready to go. Just need a roost and a flock.

Heard it's going to be a hot summer so hoping to get my coop filled before it gets too bad.

Happy Memorial Day!

Catherine

We're having a combo b-day party for our kids & decided to use this pic for our invites. (I photo-shopped the hats, of course.)
There was something about their expressions I just couldn't resist!

Orig pic

Ran over to Farm and Fleet today. They have feed on sale and if you buy 2 bags of feed, you get a treat block for free! Chicks are going thru a bag a week, they have to gooooooo. LOL

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
and the Illinois thread!!
hello all - It's been a long time since I was here but life and circumstance got in the way of raising hens. It's nice to see some people out in my neck of the woods! Blondie 1026 - we're just up the road from you on the west side of Tampico! Ninny - we're about the same distance from QCA - off IL 92

I'm in the process of obtaining a new flock - just missed some nice birds on Craigslist. My DH is not thrilled with having hens again but I've missed it so. I've got a huge coop in the steel sided barn with cement floors and decent windows and a chicken door! And homemade nesting boxes ready to go. Just need a roost and a flock.

Heard it's going to be a hot summer so hoping to get my coop filled before it gets too bad.

Happy Memorial Day!

Catherine
I was in Walnut a week ago Friday...garage sale and cheese store!! I live between Amboy and Sublette, so not far from either of you.
jersey, What kind of flock are you looking for?

Back
Top Bottom