Illinois...

I hope you get your miracle Junib

Blondie - how exciting!

I picked up 5 red stars tonight - about 25 weeks old. The girls are really vocal. I'm waiting to hear back about some BRs. Still need a good rooster.

It got to 90 degrees here today...whoa, freezing temps 2 weeks ago....

Cat

I hope you get your miracle Junib

Blondie - how exciting!

I picked up 5 red stars tonight - about 25 weeks old. The girls are really vocal. I'm waiting to hear back about some BRs. Still need a good rooster.

It got to 90 degrees here today...whoa, freezing temps 2 weeks ago....

Cat
I'm sure you'll have no problem finding one.
I have Spitzhauben & Orpington roos. If you're interested in either breed, let me know.

I guess I should add that we're in Dupage County.

Thanks Faraday. If I can't find a good roo locally I may take you up on your offer. I head into Chicago about once a month so Dupage county in on the way.

finally confirmed pick up on the BRs for Friday. It was so nice to hear the hens this morning!

Cat

Figured I would put up some cuteness.

Congrats to all the cuteness!

Although the hatch isn't due until May 31st, we just completed the final placement of the eggs. This is for my DD's experiment. (Does egg shape determine gender?) She had no problem making her predictions based on measurements, ratio, & visual evaluations. However she had a problem figuring out how to keep the chicks separated after hatch. 3 chicks will be sex-linked, but 6 will have to be kept until we can determine gender. (That's IF they hatch!) Perhaps we'll find a volunteer to take the chicks in exchange for telling us the gender in a month. I really, really wish we had the ability to hatch sex-linked chicks for her experiment. We only have 2 hens that when mated to our roo can make sex-linked chicks. Unfortunately 5 of their eggs were not fertile! She used eggs from 2 other hens - only because their eggs are easily identified.

I'll keep you updated when the incubator starts peeping.

Her other poultry-related experiment is about training/classical conditioning. Our best trained hen (my Cuddles) died. DD made a lot of progress with Trouble, but then Trouble took a broody break. Bubbles was doing very welll, but DD got distracted and started training some of the chicks, She still has plenty of time, but she also has several other projects to finish.

However she had a problem figuring out how to keep the chicks separated after hatch.

If they are light colored you can do what I have been doing, that is taking a q-tip and soaking it with common food coloring then dotting the heads or chest of the chick as they hatch... With a few refresher dots as they age that should hold out until they are old enough to leg band with some small colored 1/4" dog groomer hair rubber bands, then progress up with bigger groomer bands until you can sex them...

Or to add to the 'science' you could inject red or blue food coloring into the eggs on the 11th - 14th day based on her predicted sex...

http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/resources/egg_to_chick/coloring.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom