Illinois...

We only have 3 females, so we're only getting 1-2 eggs most days. They should be fertile, but we never tried hatching them. I don't know if it would be worth the gas. I sent you a PM with the contact info for the breeder where we got our eggs. She's in Barrington, IL. She has all kinds of quail breeds, is knowledgeable, & could handle volume.

I put bird netting over my 12 ' x 30' run which is what a local pheasant farm has for their runs. Before that I jury rigged chicken wire, which comes in 4 ft. wide rolls, and that had a tendancy to pull my chain link dog fencing towards the inside. A few years back an owl landed on it and slipped into my run and killed two hens. My 2nd run is 12 ' x 12' and we made two wooden frames with chicken wire for that one, which also worked well.
My netting is supported by an 6 foot 4 x 4 (2 ft. buried), then it goes over the coop, then it meets up with two 6 ft. 4 x 4's connected on top with a 2 x 4 (8ft long) and then to the next chain link fence. I am 5'4" and can comfortably walk in the run. This Again, I saw at the pheasant farm. Owls have a great many feathers and a local aviary expert said that an owl can fly 3 foot over your head and night and you won't notice it bc they are THAT quiet. Hawks hunt during the day.
Btw, that owl died of lead poisoning.

Yep we have the one I marked from the later date we met up and the first one I think I've figured out as there seems to be one black with a very English shape. So yep we have both of them I'm sure. We also have the legbar mixes. One found a home but the others are waiting to be processed. There again difficult because they are such nice birds to people I have discovered that the legbar mixes are not as tolerant of the other cockerals and tend to bully the other boys and are rougher with the ladies. This is funny to me since they were all raised together the same way. Did your legbar boy have any sass in him? They're nice birds and I'm not saying anything negative about your legbar just curious as I've heard temperament is passed down from the cock
My Legbar was very sweet for the first 2 years but then he was the only rooster, however once the Orpingtons grew up, they started fighting with him and he unfortunately was at the receiving end of it. So its hard to tell if he picked up the fights or it was just a pecking order establishment.

Good to know you have the black boys. One way to confirm that they are split to mottled are that there is a bay colored ring on the outer portion of iris so its not uni-color like a chocolate orpington or black orpington's eye. Well we may be able to figure out some sort of breeding project for the choc mottled if you are ok with it.

We had a pair of coopers hawks settle in our front yard and have babies. They were so cute untill they took my little mille fleur bantam, Roseanne.
hugs.gif
That's very sad. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom