Illinois...

I tried to upload a photo...

They and I have a good understanding relationship. When the chicks hatch, the mom/dad bring them out of the box (7 feet off the roof deck) to the roof. While in the box, I make sure she has water (red bowl). She has accepted me enough that she stands up and shows me the eggs.
Last year we fed them dandelion leaves, and scratch mix. The garden supervisor got some sod and we got a small wading pool so the goslings could learn how to tread water. When they grew in their primary feathers (less tan a month old) we goose-hearded them to one of the harbours by big lake Michigan. Again, I was able to build a good trust with them. The dad and mom were from the harbour and when we got close, dad flew right to it. Mom and goslings followed quickly. I have pics and vids, and I'll share some when I can figure it out. I did find a way to co-exist.

Wild Birdman, that is awesome! I am sure there are plenty of buildings downtown that the geese choose to lay, but do not get the same loving care. Nice Job!

Faraday40 and LouiseWaffles, I checked this am, and my ad is up. Thanks

One of the 1st things I noticed when we moved to our town was "geese on the roof"!

I grew up much closer to corn fields than any buildings over 4 stories tall. After getting married we bought this house in the suburbs. During our 1st week I spotted a duck on our roof & the next week a goose on our neighbor's roof! DH didn't believe me & said I was crazy. Back then our house had a swimming pool, so we had several waterfowl visitors. They can fly, so why not land on the roof? After all, it's safe from the fox & coyote also living in the neighborhood (as well as dogs, cats, & humans). I guess urban & suburban wildlife must find ways to adapt. Of course when I 1st told DH that we had a duck on the roof, he thought I was nuts. It's very common here to see our web-footed friends waddling on any roof that's not too steep, but it did take a little getting used to. As a kid, I only saw ducks/geese when fishing at the pond, and now we have them nesting out front - far away from any pond.

Since then, DH & I make a joke of it. Whenever we see a duck or goose on the roof, he pretends not to see it & says I'm crazy

Last edited:
Our garden/farm is a community outreach from the hospital in our neighborhood and is the top (6th) floor of the parking garage. When we made the exodus to the lakefront, we walked down thru the parking garage. All the way down, and then to the lake thru a ground lot over to the parkway, under a viaduct and through the park. It was quite the adventure.

Back
Top Bottom