Illinois...

I'm so much a newbe but live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago anyone by me

Hello! I am also pretty new. And I am new to the state too, so forgive me as I have no clue what counts as suburbs for Chicago. That is actually something that has really confused us, even looking on Craigslist I have no clue whats close to us or not haha. Where does Chicago end? Where do the suburbs end? This is largely rhetorical lol.

Update on Bagel. She was fine until last night, when Cookie threw up and husband rushed out to the garbage can through the garage. Bagel begin to have another seizure. So we are now thinking it has to do with her being startled? She came around much faster after this one. And it looks like no silkies for me
sad.png
Popcorn and Taco are boys. So we gotta get Bagel some girls to hang with.

I have been looking at this chick because her coloring seems a bit different than the other Jubilees. Finally Noticed this little girl had yellow legs about 2 weeks ago. So messaged the breeder and she is a Russian Orloff. Apparently, she slipped into the wrong brooder. I am lucky enough I think that I have 2 or 3 Jubilee pullets left out of the bunch. If anyone is interested in her let me know.

Last edited:
Well my broody was off the nest today for possibly as long as 2hrs then she went back to the nest like it was nothing... We shall see. Today is day 8 and we candled.... One broken, 5 questionable, 22 still look good... I think.

Ok, now that everything is ok, I am going to share. I have some neighbors across the street that hate each other. 1 neighbor called the building inspectors office on the other neighbor complaining about her pool being to close to the fence, and other silly reasons. Well when he came out to inspect the neighbors, he heard my chickens. He came over and walked into my backyard as I was cleaning the coops. He said what are you doing with chickens? You can't have chickens in the city, this isn't a farm! He snapped some pictures. I told him I checked the city ordinances, and I was able to keep them, he said No you can't and on top of it you have roosters. So, this was Tuesday. Today Animal Control came out, and asked do you have chickens? I said yes come on back, she asked me "who was here, that they had us come out?" I said it was a building inspector that was across the street and he said I can't have chickens in the city. She said you can have chickens, goats, pigs, cattle and turkeys if you want to. She said I have a nice set up and beautiful birds. She loved the bantams and frizzled. She said he shouldn't have come over and said that. It would be like her going and inspecting a house being built. I am so relieved that is over with. Even though I knew I could have them, I was still nervous.
Here are some of my thoughts.
Hi lite in green; The Hatfield's and McCoys are total Jokers. Only complaint justification for pool being too close would be............... Peeps skinny dipping and are unattractive.
lau.gif

Hi lite in red; Total abuse of authority as well as incompetence. If I did something similar in my line of work, I would be relieved of my duties.
caf.gif

Hi lite in blue; You were being put thru unnecessary STRESS....
hugs.gif
IT WOULD MAKE ME NERVOUS AS WELL. .

Well my broody was off the nest today for possibly as long as 2hrs then she went back to the nest like it was nothing... We shall see. Today is day 8 and we candled.... One broken, 5 questionable, 22 still look good... I think.
Uh oh.

Can you put her back on the nest before heading back inside or was it a case of you just didn't know she was off? Was there another hen stealing her nest? (That could explain both why she left & why eggs were broken.)

I have been looking at this chick because her coloring seems a bit different than the other Jubilees. Finally Noticed this little girl had yellow legs about 2 weeks ago. So messaged the breeder and she is a Russian Orloff. Apparently, she slipped into the wrong brooder. I am lucky enough I think that I have 2 or 3 Jubilee pullets left out of the bunch. If anyone is interested in her let me know.

Uh oh.

Can you put her back on the nest before heading back inside or was it a case of you just didn't know she was off? Was there another hen stealing her nest?  (That could explain both why she left & why eggs were broken.)

I put her back on the nest and blocked her in. She adjusted eggs and sat and hasn't moved since. But I was out of the house for about 2.5 hrs. So realistically, she could have gotten off right after and been off the whole time but I don't know. I guess time will tell...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom